Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rare in Phase II

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
Well, I've come to the conclusion that I am ready for Phase II with Rare.

The only thing left on Phase I is to eventually change out the upper and lower control arms. Everything else mechanically has been reconditions or replaced, from the tail lights ~ head lights and this includes the engine and engine compartment. :eek

Phase II is the interior:
To start off Phase II, I ordered the entire and complete carpet set from Wally Knoch. I should have it sometime next week, I read all the stuff in the C-3 Forums Section about carpet replacement, so I went to Lowes and bought a HUGE roll of the aluminum insulation/heat bearier. I found another 85 mph speedo, so I ordered the 140 mph speedo from John at Redline Gauges & Instruments (I'll put the original in a box and store it for originality purposes, ohh and I have the "Original 255/60 Gator Backs" in storage already)..

The seats are in very good original condition with one exception :( the drivers side has a small tear along the seam (single stitch one) on the outboard side near the top of the bottom cushion. I don't know if this can be repaired or not. I'll find out when I have a chance to show it too a couple upholster types ;).. If not repairable.. then I will bite the bullet and order new cushion inserts.

Also while I'm into phase II I need to find out why since I had the short in the steering column the key/light/seatbelt audio warnings don't work.. I HATE messing around with the steering column... I will also make a new rear speaker setup, as I described in the C-3 Forums. I forget who, but there was really a sweet setup that one of our CAC members shared.

I will have all this stuff done in time for Tahoe Tour #35 (September 11).

I would rather skip phase II and go to Phase III.. body and paint ;)

I am curious as to other L81'ers projects too.

Platato still in phase .05

Sounds like your pretty busy Rare.

I'm still in the gathering stage. I finally found some original parts I needed and I am still searching for 1981 documentation. Ebay has been very good to me but not so good on my wallet. I recently acquired a 1101075 alternator for $30, a pair of flawless 1981 T-top bags $40 (they came off a clone of my car), a new rear storage frame with doors $40, an original 1981 ETR with cassette & another 1981 ETR with CB (got them both for under $200) and a bunch of misc literature.

Were very fortunate that the car is in pretty nice shape (only 40,000 when we bought it. It does need paint and some minor interior work. My biggest issue right now is locating the pamphlets which came with the owners manual. IF ANYONE CAN HELP HERE, LET ME KNOW.

Our car is charcoal with silver interior and I am playing with the idea of putting the faded decals which came on the 82 C.E. above the rocker panels. I don't like the hood fade as it is backwards, so I might have to go with something that resembles the 78 Pace car striping on the hood. That combined with some black pinstriping might be a subtle & interesting combination. Has anyone seen this done? While I am on the subject of messing with what GM intended, has anyone used the earlier ribbed door sill plates on an 81? They look so much better and can always be changed back.

Ok, now that I have rambled for several paragraphs, I have a plea. Please scroll down to the post "1981 Documentation" and help me complete the list. Also, let me know what you think. If anyone needs a pic of something email me at platato@yahoo.com

STW! Platato

:TALK

;shrug Don't really know what phase I'm in Bud. Had the radio replaced from the Alpine (old model) to a new Sony with motorized flip down faceplate with cd, remote, rear 6x9 200watt Pioneers powered by 440watt amp,4x6 100watt Pioneers in front.Did some suspension work,4 new ss oring calipers.braided ss brake lines,all new ujoints,rear VBP 330# mono spring,front 460# GT springs,4 new Bilsteins,new front sway bar bushings(poly). Put new inner and outer window sweeps on the doors and new anti rattle pads for the door glass.Next is rebuilding the remainder of the suspension. Am considering the VBP mono spring front end with the tubular a frames. Also need to do new rear bearings,one is getting a little play. Well thats it for now.:_rock :Steer :w

Bud,

If your seat is split in the vinyl on the inside of the side bolster that is a common problem. I need to get mine fixed too. I was talking to 82Guy about that a few days ago. He had to have his fixed on the black Bowtie car. A local trim shop did it for around $75. I have been told by several NCRS guys that Al Knock has the best match for color on the vinyl panels of the seats. I don't know if you could just have Al Knock do the rapair or not. Guy says his local shop does these all the time so just getting the right materials may be most of the battle. I don't want to replace the whole seat cushion cover because the leather panels will look new compared to the rest of the seats.

Al Knock Interiors

Make-over for RARE

As always Bud this is music to my ears, C3 pilot making improvements or changes for the car. Quick reminder, I changed out all the lnst. lite blubs in the speedo and tach when I went to 140 head. This blubs were #194, little brighter at Wal-Mart. I'll call you before I launch to your house.Kelli said: to tell you and Nan howdy; by the way no-one notice my new tail lites at the show, I was crushed. Eight turn'n and two burn'n....... Dave

Sounds like your keeping busy Bud! Before I went to the 50th at the NCM I replaced all the heater hoses and the heater control valve. (nice and cool inside now) Have a complete set of new bushings for the front and rear sitting in a box. The originals are not in bad shape but are starting to crack and deteriorate from age. Building the garage and staining the cabin have kept me out from under the 81.

Bud - I have been considering installing a new rug in my 81 also but one thing has been holding me back. I'm concerned about the new carpet not matching the carpet on the doors. My door panels are in good shape and don't need replaced except the carpet on the doors is a little faded. What's your situation on the door panels? My drivers seat must have the exact same small tear yours has. I'd hate to have to replace the seat covers just because of that tear. Let me know what you end up doing with yours. The only other thing I'm considering when the 'driving season' is over here in the east is possible replacing my steering gear with a new GM unit while they are still available. I can get one through work for aboout $306. My gear has just a little to much play for my liking and rather than have it rebuilt for about $150 I'm thinking about a new one. Also in the off season I'm going to rehab my AC system. Other than those issues I'm good to go.

Dave

:mad I just typed up a nice explaination and it said too many graphics used then it deleted my entire post :mad

One more time:

Dave,
I haven't received my carpet set yet! I was hoping to have it by Friday so I could install it this weekend, but not to happen! I have Silver interior so I hope the original door panels won't be to noticable, if they are then I'll have to figure out how to change the carpet on the panels, or get new ones.. urrg

The seat.... My nieghbor told me to find a good upholstery shop that does "HotRods" and they can fix it. So I plan to check out a few within the next few weeks. Otherwise I received permission from the finance minister to get a set of Leather seats :D I told ma I would wait until I received my bonus then order a set IF I can't get this one fixed.

Rare is still a low mileage car and the steering is very sound and dependable. I had the steering wheel re-wrapped a couple of years ago so it looks real good.

Today my buddy 81 MAKO (Dave) came down and helped me get the new speedometer cable installed. Then I installed the 140 mph speedometer. Since I had the tach and speedo out I went to Kragens and bought all new 5 watt bulbs (#2825). They sure don't give those away :eek and I'm not so sure they are really worth the extra $$$, but it is brighter than before, and noticebly brighter than the center cluster.

BLACKDOG made an appearance later today, and we passed his inpsection. I even let him take Rare for test run to see what he thought of the new speedo, once again we got his approval hehehehehehe (I'd use a smiley but I don't want to lose all this again) I would use the MAD smiley here.

Tomorrow I plan to start making the template for the new speakers for Rare's rear end. And start trouble shooting the buzzer not working when the key is in the ignition and the seat belts..

I'm getting to OLD for this stuff and my hands look like I've been playing with a "ButterFly Knife." Ah, but for the :love of a SHARK!!

Bud

Hey Bud!

Just curious? Did you rebuild the engine in Rare or did you do the crate motor swap! I can just imagine Rare with a 350 horse crate motor sitting between the fenders and a Richmond 5 speed to hammer the gears thru! I just gotta know!!! Zane

Zane,

Trust me the thought has crossed my mind.... But, living out here in Kalifornia I don't know that I want to jump through all the hoops that would be required. Besides Rare is happy like she is ;)

I'd trust taking her across country anytime ... ooops guess I did that a couple of times already ;LOL

Next big :Steer will be Dodge City, Kansas ;) :D , or the Black Hills Corvette Classic :w

Bud

Re: Platato still in phase .05

platato said:
Ebay has been very good to me but not so good on my wallet. I recently acquired ...an original 1981 ETR with cassette & another 1981 ETR with CB (got them both for under $200)

Platato: I'm sooooo jealous of you for finding those ETR radio's for your vette. I've been looking for a long time (ebay too) for an ETR cassette style to get my '81 back to original. How did the party you bought the ETR's from on Ebay have them listed? If you ever see another one please let a fellow CAC member know about it, OK? Also, if you ever want to sell the ETR with cassette let me know.

Sorry it has taken so long to get the photo's up of the new carpets,.. I misplaced the USB connection for my camera :( I'll post the photo's as attachments and take about 4 posts :eek

Bud

Photo II

Bud

Photo III

Bud

Last one :)

Bud

I forgot to mention:

I ordered the Carpet from Nitro Alley "Wally" ("iron cross" here at CAC) is a pleasure to work with and he has great prices ;)

Bud Dougherty
Modesto, CA

Thanks Dean.. it was nice to step back from a project and see such nice results ;)

Bud

;LOL ROTFLMAO ;LOL Bro you caught her looking road worn. Once I saw this photo I was expecting to see her rock hauling one too ;LOL

The ole girl doens't seem to mind some of Yoda's traveling habits, just likes to be included ;)

Thanks for the memories :D

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom