Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rather than burn up....

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Rather than burn up a new wiring harness or alternator, I'm asking advice on how to allow for the change from the old alternator/external voltage regulator to the new alternator/internal regulator.

Here's a photo and some questions:
alternator-new.jpg

#1 - original-style connector to alternator
#2 - new-style alternator connection
#3 - ground connector for alternator
#4 - BAT wire connected to alternator BAT connection
#5 - ground connector for original-style external regulator
#6 through #9 - old-style external regulator connector

In another thread, midyear said

An internal reg alt will bolt directly in place of the external reg alt. If you use a GM style from a parts house, you will use your large red wire, and only one of the existing small wires.

The wire plug on the alt uses 2 wires, the wire farthest away from the main bat term on the alt can be run right back to the main bat term on the alt.

The other wire is a key on trigger wire. I use one of the existing wires, trace it back to the regulator plug, clip it and tie it into the key on wire already present at the same regulator plug. then you can eliminate the plug and tape up remaining wires neatly for a factory looking install.
Would someone mind explaining the above paragraph using my connection numbers in the photo?

I'm being cautious. :)

Ya no, I have the same set up, internal regulator alt., alt is now on left side, ext. reg. still on right side, and it's still hooked up! I bought car this way,and everythings perfect for years. No fires. Maybe I don't need ext. regulator hooked up. I had lectric limited fab a enginess harness for alt on left side on my 64. What would happen if I disconnected my ext. reg. plug? Shouldn,t need it with int. reg. alt., right?

I could guess but that's not prudent. Maybe shoot a PM to midyear?

-Mac

Bob

I will check some notes I have from my cadillac.I have a High out put alternator that is internally regulated and if I rember correctly you actually clip a wire at the regulator and then jump the other one out. I will look to see what I can find

Bob,

I have tried to send this a few times, but my email seams to lock up when it tries to send (damn new computer!).

Plug # 1: we only need one wire from this plug, we can use either one, so lets choose the white wire. Remove it from the plug, we will use it in the new plug that goes into opening #2 (available at most auto parts stores)

Plug # 2: lets label this 2a and 2b, (a = top) run a wire from 2a to #4. Hook white wire from plug # 1 to 2b.

Reg plug: take brown wire #9 and connect directly to white wire #7. You can use a jumper, or just cut and splice the 2 together. Other wires on this plug are no longer used, you can just tape them up, or cut them back and retape harness. #5 and #3 are ground wires, I think they are the same wire to ground regulator and can be eliminated.

Basically all we have done is take a key on power wire from reg plug (#9) and run it to the alt trigger (#2b) to make the alt activate upon start up.

And that shoud do it.
Dennis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom