Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rating of stock alternator

Larry82

Corvette
82 Silver
What was the rated output of the 82 stock alternator. Mine just went out after 20 years adn 158K miles. Replaced with a 60 nominal/70 peak alternator.

Alt. output

Larry82,
My '81 was stock rated at 63 amps. Then when it finally died, I took it over to a local guy (very reputable) that does starter and alternator rebuilds. He did a complete overhaul and "beefed" the alternator to 100 amps output max./ 70 amps at idle. It was cheaper than buying one from a auto parts store. And he even warrantied it for life.
So next time you have a alternater "crap out" you might want to check out a local auto electric/machine shop in your area and see if they can do the same for you. (as long as you can lay up the car for a day)
Sarge:w

First one lasted 20 years, 158K miles. Hopefully this one will give me just half that. Needed car for this morning, so no choice. Maybe next time.

Larry,

Amazingly in my '81 I had the same problem. When the stock alt failed I check the book for the correct replacement (which they said was an 85 amp unit) Well, guess what? Mine was also a 63 amp. So I dug around and paid the extra $$$ and got a "correct" 85 amp Alt. It is larger and required a little tweeking the slot size on the support arm but now when I turn on every electrical device and the a/c, the alt gauge doesn't even move. Go with the larger capacity unit if at all possible. It's worth it.

........... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom