Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattle on takeoff, is this normal

J

jody746

I have a 2000 c5 coupe, 6 speed. When taking off in 1st gear there is a slight chatter or rattle , then goes away in a couple of seconds. I was told it was the throw-out bearing ,and is really nothing to worry about. Does anyone know what this is? When I,m still and turn off the engine ,you can also hear it. If I hold the clutch down and turn off the engine you don,t hear it.

By depressing the clutch that is a dead give-a-way that points to either throwout bearing or clutch springs. As you depress the clutch you place more force on the throwout bearing thereby changing the at-rest characteristics that may be causing your noise. At the same time the clutch springs are stretched taut, again changing their at-rest characteristics. I'm not much into manuals anymore, but that's the way I remember it.

Ted

Every C5 I've ever tested that has the clutch and trans in proper conditions makes that little rattle/chatter noise on take off from stop during normal driving maneuvers. If that's what you have I wouldn't worry.

Now, if the chatter is something you feel, ie: a vibration, then, I'd say you might have a faulty clutch disc or flywheel.

I have an 02 which does the same thing. Mine seems to appear only when the car is in a bind like starting off on a hill. Seems like in the video I got with they car they talk about it and say the clatter is normal.

Rodney

Thank for the replys, its been really helpfull. I love the car and can live with little annoyance. Thanks again....

Sounds like you need a few hundred more revs to counter the chatter. You might be letting the clutch out before you throttle up. Modify your Left Foot/ Right Food sequence on a higher rev side. Meaning, slighty touch the throttle to add revs, then let the revs come down as you let out the clutch a little. Now, do your normal LF/RF sequence. If done properly, this should add the revs for this diagnose. See if this stops the chatter. If the chatter is there no matter what you do at a dead stop, it might be the idiosyncrasy of the beast.
I do know the sound you're taking about, but more revs will help the chatter a little.

OK guys, sounds like you got him fixed. Now... I have the same problem with an AUTOMATIC !!! When just starting out, forward or backward, I get the same rattle. It will only do it when you start from a dead stop, or shifting from reverse to forward while still rolling and then accelerating.:confused

Dogg, are you sitting down? According to my diagnosis guide: "Noise in 1st gear & reverse," states that it is one of, or all of the above: 1. Oil pump system. 2. Input Gear Set. 3. Reaction Gear Set. Not good! We're talkin' about hard parts here.
You can do one of two things. Fix it before it breaks. Fix it when it breaks.
I like the SERTA trasnmission service GM uses. They give you a 36,000 mile warranty. The Trans is rebuilt, front to back. If you had your Trans repaired for the hard parts alone at an independent, I bet the difference would be about $400/500. Meaning....your rebuilt Trans would still have the old clutches, the same T-converter, the same valve body, and so on. With a SERTA, you get a freshly built Trans. I've installed enough to know that down the road, you'll be better off spending the exta $$ for a SERTA. Just my opinion.

C Dogg,
I have a vibration, rattle when performing parking moves...like backing up and then going forward. The problem is in the belt tensioner but just replacing that is not the final answer. You have to replace the generator and the belt tensioner together and the cost runs from 500 to 700 bucks. I found the answer on the NHTSA website for 97 on up Corvettes.

C Dogg,
I have a vibration, rattle when performing parking moves...like backing up and then going forward. The problem is in the belt tensioner but just replacing that is not the final answer. You have to replace the generator and the belt tensioner together and the cost runs from 500 to 700 bucks. I found the answer on the NHTSA website for 97 on up Corvettes.

Well guys, your're really making my day! I would proabably agree with you about the belt tensioner. That makes sense. But it's hard to believe that the costs could be that much! I'm getting ready to tuck her in the the winter nap, so I'll have some time to play with it. I'll keep you advised as to what I find.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom