Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle (Vert Question)

CELT4RAGTOP

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collectors Edition Convertible
OK guys and gals,

I need some input from some fellow convertible owners. Since I bought my car about two years ago, whenever I have the top down (which is pretty much all the time unless its raining) and I go over a bump the top rattles. The sound is coming from the folded top behind the passenger side seat. I've checked and I can't find anything loose on that side. It's hard to tell what is hitting what under there. I've tried to fold up a towel and lay it on top of the folded top and then closing the cover, but that does nothing.

Is this just something that everyone has to deal with or am I just missing something?

Don't have a ragtop, but was just loking thru the Noise reduction section of the manual & it refers to a specific "rattle" when the top is down.

Apparently there are torsion bars that run from side to side on the top frame.
The rattle is caused by a missing or loose tie strap that secures the center of the torsion bars together.

I noticed that mine would also make some rattles every once in awhile and set out to find the noise also. Found in my case that the release handles, although they seemed tight, would rattle. I simply took a little sheet foam and wrapped both handles and the rattle stopped. I would guess some bubble wrap would work too. ;)

Thanks for the input guys.

Rabbit what manual are you referring to?

44 Mag, when you say release handles, do you me the handles that lock into the top of the windshield when the top is closed? Hmmm. I'll have to check that, although I've tried putting a towel between the pin on the handle and the cover that hides away the top when closed.

I'm gonna go "Postal" soon.

I'm referring to the Helm's factory manual. It has a section called "Noise Reduction".

Relates to common reported problems, i. e., rattles, squeaks & how to correct them.:Steer

I've found that another common source of noticeable rattles is the "IV" effect.
(Insufficient Velocity). When the speedo gets into 3-digit country, the pucker factor causes a focus on other things than little noises.
Just kidding.

44 Mag, when you say release handles, do you me the handles that lock into the top of the windshield when the top is closed? Hmmm. I'll have to check that

Sorry for the delay. Yep, that's what I mean. I wrap mine in sheet foam (thin), and it stops the rattles. I run a hard top in the winter as well and the rattle used to be really noticeable. :)

44 Mag, Thanks for the reply. I'll have to see if that works.

Tonylong, I have to admit that I've never heard the rattle at highway speeds (or above), but I don't think the neighbors would like it much if I were doing triple digits through the neighborhood. ;)

I have had the same problem. Today I finally found the problem. Under the back(hard) cover that goes over the soft top there are 2 long tension bars that bang together when you go over bumps wrap them in foam. Problem solved

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom