Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattles

J

jbdezine

Does anyone know of a way to eliminate rattles when hitting small bumps in the road? IE Bushings underneath that are common to drying out and in need of replacement. I have owned previous vette’s and have had the same noises but just figured they were old and that was the way it was. I now own a mint 95 with 26k miles and it is driving me nuts. I know these cars are notorious for noises but there is always a solution to a problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Depends on which rattle. But if its coming from front near the front wheels, its most probably brake pads(floating design). As far as I know, either corvette central or the Mid America offers some kind of double stick tape but with heat generated whenever you brake, I am not sure if it will work.

Thanks, I will try to gently apply brakes on a rough road and see if the noise goes away. I know there are many aftermarket bushing replacement kits and was wondering if anyone has used them, and if they work.

The radio works too, but it is one of those things that will bug me to no end.

I have some experience with aftermarket urethane (poly) bushings in several vehicles. I've replaced about half the bushings on both ends of my Subaru Outback with Whiteline's poly sets and found that while the rattles aren't there, the SQUEAKS are. Lots of graunching, esp. when going slowly over speed bumps.

I've also replaced most of the front bushings on my Vette with Energy Suspension bushings. They're much quieter than the wearing-out stock bushings and don't squeak over bumps like the Outback's. However, these are in different locations - the OB has mostly swaybar replacements, which move a lot, and the Vette has currently tie-rod and control arm bushings. The swaybar ones are on order.

Just my $.02.
[RICHR]

I, too have a rattle ( squeak) that is driving me nuts on my 99, any suggestions as to what it might be? Thanks to all for your help.

I believe that you will find that it is the nature of the beast.

I am getting groaning sounds when I go over these da_ _ speed bumps that some idiots designed for Florida living, and plan to purchase the cross bar roof support once I see one(do not like to purchase based on picture on web site). This supposedly adds strength to an area that even D. Hill said was weak in the c-4's. I have read that the c-4 was originally designed to have T-tops but bean cutters forced it into a targa. We, therefore, experience some body flex and that MIGHT be the source of some of your squeaks.

Are you talking about RD Racing's CrossBar support for behind the seat? Or the I-shaped frame that fits where the roof is? I've got the seat-back bar and while it reduces flex a little, the car still shimmies with the roof off. I am impressed, though, with the quality of the product and ease of installation (I bought it more for a harness bar and camera support than flex-proofing anyway). RD Racing seems to make some pretty good stuff.

[RICHR]

RRUBEL,

What I am referring to are anti-flex support bars that bolt right into the slots made for the roof panel. Top must be off to install these but down here if you keep it out of the rain, you don't need a top. I would like to see both applications installed before I buy one or the other. Both are in same price range(400 +) but from pictures one is shaped like a rectangle and the other in the shape of a T. Would guess(and that is what it is) you would get more support and therefore less flex with the one shaped like a rectangle.

Primerate c-5,
If you are talking about C-4, call Corvette Masters in Orlando. I had them take C-4 convertible x member which is a wimpy c-section, cut steel sheet and mig-weld and turn more into box section. Then they added bolts before the rear wheels (fronts are already there). Once bolted on, structural rigidity it adds is excellent with or without the targa. I know its a little out of your way but I think its a better solution. Cost I think was around $500. Tell Robbie Hooper Yun sent you.

Corvette Masters 407 277 3900

Vettaholic,

I like your solution better than mine---sounds like it is totally hidden(?), and you do not have to mess around if you change tops. I plan to call him---if I reference what you said in the post, will he know what I am talking about and do you know if he can complete job in one day? I guess I could always go see "Mickey" while he is working on car.

I would prefer to make that trip before the snow birds hit so will promptly pursue this.

On another note, how do you like your "Z"? I had a '90 before wife developed major medical problems and decided upkeep was too expensive. I loved that car on the track---I took it too most of the major tracks in the northeast and the car always performed better than it's driver. Brakes were always a problem but I just kept replacing pads---then I had to replace a water pump and that repair led to the car's demise. Well someday hope to get back to a vet with more umph but this recent buy satifies the little boy in me for the time being. Thanks for your tip!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom