Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattling In Engine Compartment

Rogue

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe
There is a strange rattling noise inside the engine compartment of my Corvette that is present only when the engine warms up, it is at idle and in gear. It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine compartment. I tried tracking it down by popping the hood, letting the engine warm up, then letting my wife put the car in gear. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen when I do that. :confused

It is not overly loud but loud enough to hear from the drivers side or when you are standing next to the car.

The strange thing is, I have a 2001 Saturn L300 with the V6 and automatic and that car also makes a similar sound after the engine warms up and the car is in gear.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what it is and how I can silence it because the car is otherwise running like a top, which makes the rattling sound that much more annoying.

Anybody have similar issues? Any ideas anyone?

It is an automatic. The rattling occurs after the car warms up to temperature, and only when it is in gear at idle. So it happens when I stop at a signal light, or I am backing up. As soon as I put the engine in Neutral, the rattle stops because I'm thinking the frequency does not make the rattling parts sound out.

The sound is like a metal to metal rattle and is high pitch (not like a low thrumming sound but like two thin metal parts rubbing together). I'm thinking it is some kind of metal hose rubbing on another metal part. It's really puzzling.

Remove the serp. belt & try it. I have noticed some of the bolts on the chassis brackets loosen up over time.

One common noise/rattle from back in the day.. the air pump would start to break of blades and rattle around,or the bearing would make noise. Maybe check the exhaust right were it bends down toward the bottom of the fire wall and metal heat shield. Post up when you find what it is,always like the ending to a good mystery.. :cool

It is an automatic. The rattling occurs after the car warms up to temperature, and only when it is in gear at idle. So it happens when I stop at a signal light, or I am backing up. As soon as I put the engine in Neutral, the rattle stops because I'm thinking the frequency does not make the rattling parts sound out.

The sound is like a metal to metal rattle and is high pitch (not like a low thrumming sound but like two thin metal parts rubbing together). I'm thinking it is some kind of metal hose rubbing on another metal part. It's really puzzling.
Check your torque converter bolts and inspect the flex plate for cracks!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom