Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ready to Buy a C-4 - Newer or Older?

"but it sure the hell isn't the slug that grumpy makes it out to be."
I never said it was a SLUG!! only that better choices in engines for corvettes than the cross fire system, exist
lets ask a question???
if you had to bet $10,000 of YOUR MONEY on the winner in a 1/4 mile drag race between a STOCK LT4 1996 corvette and a STOCK cross fire 1984 corvette ,
both in excellent tune and in factory new condition,with good EXPERIANCED drivers , in each corvette, how many guys will bet $10,000 on the 1984 winning???

PLEASE give me thier names!!!!! (Im sure we can find several guys with LT4s to help out with this)

IM not KNOCKING the 1984s, IVE got many into the low 13s with some mods, which will beat most street cars, but if your BUYING a CORVETTE why start with a DISADVANTAGE

Grumpy I never mentioned anything about winning a race. That wasn't even the point. I took exception to the fact that you said AVOID Cross fire cars. I know where in the food chain a Cross Fire Vette sits and I know a LT4 is a faster car. You made it sound like all 84's should be junked. here is your exact words. "the 1984 with its single year cross fire injection is to be AVOIDED!!!" This is a Corvette help board not a bash the Vette Board. :mad

Go Moe!... LOL

My '84 was a heck of a lot of fun, for quite some time. A bit limited on the upgrade thang, longterm, but still one heck of a car and not too costly to own.

SIGH

Hi Chuckster.If I may I'd like to add my canadian 2 cents worth.I agree with most on here when it comes to what year to purchase in that they newer the Vette the newer the technology.When I shopped around for mine I bought a 1 and 1/2 year old vette and haven't regretted it since.I decided to go with the LT1 (1992 and up).....Sure it's nice to save money by buying an older one but if you have to spend money(time and headaches) fixing the older vette your driving time and pleasure is reduced..........Oh by the way,if you are looking for a "cherry vette"......My 1992 "black cherry is for sale....:w ...guess why it's for sale.......;) ......gonna buy me another.....:beer ....have fun shopping,I am!!

When you do find one, bring along a vette owner and check it out completely!

The Newer the Better?

Hi

This is only a general statement, in my opinion no matter how a vette is kept avoid high mileage cars and only buy a car that is garaged. A garaged car is more likely to have the rubber through out the car in better shape besides the obvious things.

An outside car takes a beating from the elements and will take its toll (your pocketbook).

If this is going to be a second car or a weekend car any year is a good year except maybe the 84 model year.

But if you are going to use it as a daily driver the newer the better but again in my humble opinion try to stay under 75,000miles if possible no matter what year.

Don't get cheap or lazy there are some good vettes out there if you hard enough.

Alan

MoeJr said:
Mic the 350 in the 82&84 Vette with CFI is noticeably more torquey than the 305 in the Z-28. My car is done making power by 4700 rpm though it pulls strong to the 5k shift point. It is by know means a barn burner but it sure the hell isn't the slug that grumpy makes it out to be. I know all about the shortcomings of the CFI but for the person who wants to have some fun on the street and the stoplight Grand Prix it does great.

:bar
3.42 gears 3000 stall manual valve body, shift kit, heavy porting on the intake and stock heads, 220ish duration 480ish lift, 10.5" cheater slicks with a few other mods and ALOT of tuning the car ran a best of 13.62@102 mph if memory serves me correctly. the CFI is coming out of the car this spring with the motor out of the vette going in with the TPI. i've had this car since i was 18 and i'm 31 now. the cars been sitting for a few years because i keep tearing the 200 metric up and decided to store the car until i can finish it like i want too. this time it will be backed up with a T56 6 speed.

Kingman, if you find a minute can you explain why one would not purchase an 84 vette?
Thank you

CROSS FIRE OWNERS UNITE!!!!:_rock

Alot of people say avoid the Cross Fire cars due to the poor intake design and the complexity of keeping the Throttle Bodies synced. The syncing of the TB's is like what you used to do in the way back days when you had a 240Z or old british car with twin strombergs or SU carbs and they needed to be synced. Anyone up here that wants to try my CF Vette is welcome to. If I wasn't so damn in love with the C3 body style I would never get rid of my 84.

:beer

If U R L@@king 4 a C4 . . .

Take Ur time . . . Shop around . . . Drive as many as possible . . . Get the 1 U Like the Most. :upthumbs

There r some Great Deal going on with the C6 shaking everything up . . .

Enjoy Ur Hunt !

BTW - Welcome to :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

High Mileage Can be Okay

One way to get into a later C4, like a 96, for less money is to look for a car that looks good and has been well cared for but has higher mileage. The price will be lower but you won't necessarily get less of a car. My '96 is about to hit 100,000 miles but it runs great. If the previous owner took good care of the car and replaced oil and filter regularly - especially with Mobile One - the engine will still be in excellent condition.

Listen to Grumpy, he KNOWS what he is talking about. 96 LT4's can be had for the upper amount you are looking to spend, REALLY nice ones are available for ~$15K.

If not go LT1 until you can afford a nice one.

They are all nice but beleive me it will be well worth buying the newest one you can afford.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom