Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Real life experiences with the 385 Z vs. the 405 Z?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett

I've checked out some of the stats the magazines give of both cars, but I would be interested to hear some real life experiences.

I've seen how the later Z's are about 70 pounds or so heavier than the the first generation, and people always seem to mention it. Are the 405 ZR-1's really worth the extra cash?

Brett

I personally like my '90 because of the lighter weight, the body style, the way it performs, and the price. Of course the newer ones are slightly refined with slightly different heads. My early numbered '90 also has steel half shafts instead of aluminum. Not sure why they ever switched. You really can't lose whatever year you're looking at.

My friend has a real nice '95 and we're very close to even when we race :D

Jay

They seem to be close in the 1/4 with the 405 hp having an edge in top speed.

I owened 91 Z between 91 thru 96 and 94 from June 2001 to now. I prefer 94 not so much due to extra performance but due to refinement as in less sqeaks and rattles.:w

secondchance said:
I owened 91 Z between 91 thru 96 and 94 from June 2001 to now. I prefer 94 not so much due to extra performance but due to refinement as in less sqeaks and rattles.:w

You would be surprized what technique they used to stop the rattles. They used plumbers putty behind all interior panels to stop the rattles and squeeks.

Judging on how many rattles and squeeks they have, that must be why the newer Z's weigh more! :L

That I have'nt seen but they did use some vecros behind the instrument cluster. Also foam panel instead of typical vinyl sheet behind the door panels. Most significant item is slight change in the ZF6 speed. My 91 in 1st gear doing 5-10 mph use to sound as if the tranny was full of walnuts. In 93, I think, they reduced the clearances between gears and got that rattling sound out. This reduced the max. torque capacity of the tranny some but the change, IMO, was worth it.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom