Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Really confused--This may help toms94 also

Corvette
2001 navy 'vert
Hi

I just bought a 2001 6 spd with only 2900 miles on it. The GM records say all that has been done was recall # 04006, which is ‘’perform reprogram and functional test-manuals on”. I’ve been reading posts on the forum all the way back to 2005
about this CLB problem. I am REALLY confused now. I’ve read about K harness,
and fuel shutoffs, and locking plates…..and I don’t know what else. I’ve seen posts that praise the CLB, and I’ve seen posts that say they can cause all kinds of big problems. I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong……

Ok, maybe you could answer some questions (again) for me.
What exactly does the CLB do? Does it disable the locking pin motor so the pin does not engage the locking ring? Does it keep telling the fuel pump that everything is alright? If I DID decide to remove the locking ring, would I still need the CLB to keep the fuel pump running? (but there’s no sense in removing the locking ring right?) Are the CLB and the K harness basically the same thing, so if I do install a CLB I don’t need a K harness?

I guess my scrambled up brain is telling me to do it this way.
I’m following these instructions, http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

So here we go. Remove the knee panel. Unplug the correct wire junction terminal. Plug the CLB Into the correct side on the terminal, leaving the other wires doing nothing, put the knee panel back together, and that’s it…..nothing more, nothing less. Am I thinking right??

Sorry to bring up a well used subject again, but maybe now I’ll understand things before I tear into my new car. (which I haven’t even driven yet)

also, what happens to the car if the CLB were to fail??

Thanks again

Rod

This probably will continue your confusion, but when I talked to the parts person at Corvettes of Houston, he said that not only does the CLB prevent the column lock, but also corrects the fuel shutoff. He did not explain why for the latter. I don't know if the fuel cut-off is true, but I have not had a problem. I removed everything that the dealer installed for the fix. You could call COH and ask them if the fuel cut-off is fixed also.
Barrett

Here is how I understand how the system works in order of your questions. 1) The CLB disables the locking pin actuator by disconnecting it. 2) The CLB simulates the voltage signal of the original actuator to the BCM to allow fuel pump operation, but the down side of the CLB is that it can load the BCM differently than the original lock actuator or the K harness and can damage the BCM. 3) If you only remove the locking ring, your steering wheel will turn, but the actuator will still operate and can send a bad signal voltage to the BCM and shut off your fuel supply. 4) The K harness and CLB are basically the same thing (sending the BCM voltages that simulate up and down signals from the actuator), but the CLB disconnects the actuator in the down position and the K harness still uses the original actuator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom