Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Really Dumb ?

1Bad86

Corvette
1986 White Coupe 4+3.1992 Camaro RS
I'm in the middle of the clutch job. Time to install roller pilot bearing.
Which way does it go???Bearings toward engine or bearings toward tranny.

Ok, so I guess everyone is laughing to hard to reply:D

No directions? Well that's typical. :D

I've never done this on a Vette, but I assume it's like other Chevys. The open side of the bearing(bearings visible) goes toward the crankshaft or front of car. Clutch disc dust would enter it otherwise and ruin the bearing.

Thanks C4Tom. And you guessed it, no instructions and the Gm Shop Manual was no help at all. I feel the same as you on direction, just looking for a little validation.

C4Tom said:
No directions? Well that's typical. :D

I've never done this on a Vette, but I assume it's like other Chevys. The open side of the bearing(bearings visible) goes toward the crankshaft or front of car. Clutch disc dust would enter it otherwise and ruin the bearing.

that logic sounds right to me.

Glenn :w

1Bad86 said:
Ok, so I guess everyone is laughing to hard to reply:D

No no no. I ain't laughing at all . It has happened to me before . Not the pivot bearing but some other things . You look at it , memorize it , but the next day ...??? daaag , how inna world was it !!!:)

Sorry that I can’t answer your question, but... for future projects you may want to take digital shots of your steps as you progress along. It helps -- I’ve learned the hardway.:mad So far, the digital photos I’ve taken are better than the GM service manual for visual reference when buttoning everything back up.

B17Crew
:w

frost said:
I did a tranny swap and the instructions said to have the grease seal faceing he tranmission.

Well, there you go. Confirmation... open side towards the crankshaft. :D

Thanks again for all the input. You guys have been a great help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom