Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Brake Line Connector Broke! HELP!

R

RizzoRat

Looks like im a bit of a jam. I was tightening my new brake hose that connects to the solid brake lines. I went to far...and the fitting snapped off :( . How in the world does one take that connector out, the 2 brake lines that go into seems nearly impossible to reach with a wrench, they put the damn thing in such a ristriced area. Please ;help , i was so close to getting the brakes finally finished. AGHHHHHH :r

If it's the one I'm thinking about I have a nasty feeling your screwed. I'm thinking it's the line I remember looking at and saying "hmm, do I really want to unbolt the body and jack it up to replace that line?"

Hopefully someone will say I'm remembering wrong.. :(

I wonder if you could have the line re-flared and a new fitting put on it?

We just had to do some brake line work on mom-in-law's Buick and had to buy a flare tool. We were able to use it on part of the old brake line in order to match it up to some new line.

One key thing, is to make sure you have the fitting on before you flare the line! :L

We were able to find the tool ($45) & extra brake line ($5 per line)(easily bendable) and fittings at CarQuest.

Barb :w

E Z Out?

Without seeing it, that's my first thought, the right size E Z out or easy out as the case may be. I've used them many times when I thought all was lost.:hb

BBB454 said:
[One key thing, is to make sure you have the fitting on before you flare the line! :L

Hmmm, I'd sure like to hear that story :D

Hi Scott, as you might guess, we had the flaring tool all ready to go on the line and then realized "oh crap, forgot the fitting!". At least we hadn't actually started the flaring process yet but we still had to dismantle the tool to get the fitting on. The other tip I'll give is if you're working with the bendable brake lines with the fittings on either end (is that what Rowdy is talking about?), make sure you tape or otherwise temporarily affix the fittings onto the proper end of the brake line. We found out that even a small bend in the line will keep the fitting from moving freely so if the fitting is in the middle of the line and you bend it, you can't get the fitting back to the end where it belongs...

RizzoRat, good luck & let us know what happens!

Barb :w

BBB454 said:
... We found out that even a small bend in the line will keep the fitting from moving freely so if the fitting is in the middle of the line and you bend it, you can't get the fitting back to the end where it belongs... RizzoRat, good luck & let us know what happens! Barb :w

Barb, are you sure that wasn't my garage. Your story sounds like what happened to me in my recent brake overhaul when I had problems with the front crossover line. I twisted the heck outta that line and didn't realize I had done it until I tried pulling the fitting back where it needed to be. :( Patience is a virtue I should buy some stock in.

- Eric:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom