Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Defogger Switch Resistor

yello80vette

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige Corvette
The one large resistor in the rear defogger switch in my 1980 is burnt out.
My car has the switch that was installed later in the production year. The replacement cost for the regular switch is about $50. Of course the one I need is $190.
I would like to solder in a new resistor instead of paying for a new switch but being that it is burnt, I can't identify what size resistor I need to get.
Does anyone have this switch and can look inside to see what the color bands that identify what this resistor size is? ...or does anyone know any trick to identify the size of a burnt out resistor? I have been absolutely unable to find anything on this.
The switch on most 1980's looks rather square but the one I have is rectangular and says from top to bottom 'ON', 'OFF", 'R.DEFOG' .
Anybody? Anything? Heeeeeeelp!!!

I know I have another one .
I have to look around in the garage for it.

here's the pics I took of my spare.

I really appreciate you doing all this. If you look on the lower left side of the switch in photo #1, you can see that the resistor is burnt out. That's the same one that burnt on my switch. This must be the one that fries first whenever one of these goes bad. I can, however, still see at least the gold band on the resistor. This info will help as far as determining what size resistor I need to replace it. Thanks again for all your help! -d-

Never even noticed it was burnt out!!!
I replaced the bulb in it and was scratching my head why it didn't work!!!
I'll see if I can find one and replace it for a spare!!!!

thanks!

Are you sure the resistor is open? It looks like it may just be overheated. Unsolder one end and check w/ an ohmmeter to be sure.

The gold band is the tolerance which means it is a +/- 5% resistor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom