Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear Differential

Echo1

Corvette
Here is a silly question that i keep getting different answers to. I need to pull my rear differential to send it in and get it rebuilt. My winter project is to install a T56. With the transmission and drive shaft out can the differential be removed forward with out removing the differentail cover and everything connected to it? It is a 1980 with the aluminum cover connected to the frame.;help

No, has to come out by dropping down. If you're building a high power engine you may want to look beyond a std rebuild. Me, I would build an iron unit. If you end up staying with that aluminum diff let me know and I'll hook you up with a guy who does them with steel caps. I don't touch the 80-82 myself, not much I can do to build them stronger. The steel cap and housing mill would help and would be better then anyone's std build.

Thanks for the info. The motor has already been built and installed. My TA has the T56 and I love it. The Vette is getting one this winter. A friend of mine is recommending 411s to get the best of both worlds. I like to cruise hight hosepower long range stuff. I was thinking 373s. I am interested in an upgrade to the rearend.

Thanks

All the cases are different inside so you can't buy just the cap and put it on. I have to make each cap specific to the case. PM me or give me a call for the pricing 214-717-8379
Mike

If you're going to keep that diff have Mike fit the cap and build it. It's the best thing you can do to it and Mike likes to work on his Bridgeport anyway!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom