Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear end cover problems.

S

sharky

hey all, posted a few weeks ago about replacing. r/end cover. as i stated have got everything clear .darn thing won`t drop. have been told to hit w/a hammer until it comes loose. o.k. my question is what could be holding it .i`m afraid if i hit to much something else wiil be damaged. any advice is appreciated. also thank`s to those who responded to my last questions. have got both crossmember bolts loose. sharky.

Sharky,
I have never been able to drop the crossmember by hitting it with a hammer. The crossmember is stuck on the mounts. You need a BIG prybar to break it loose. If one side won't release try the other. Once it pops loose it will come down fast.

Mike

This is one of those, check two, three, four times and make sure that all the housing bolts to diff have been removed, and the bolts coming down from the cross member are out.

If that diff has been rebuilt, there is a good chance that it was sealed with silicone. You will have to tap and pry a little. You have to make sure you don't gouge the mating surfact. It will break loose, just be patient and easy with it.

Napa sells the diff cover seal and usually has it in stock.

Stingray6974 said:
Sharky,
I have never been able to drop the crossmember by hitting it with a hammer. The crossmember is stuck on the mounts. You need a BIG prybar to break it loose. If one side won't release try the other. Once it pops loose it will come down fast.

Mike

(giggle)
Last time I removed the diff. xmember, I had to rent a Port-a-Power to get it loose.

I've found that a long digging bar works well, too. Those mounts are a bear!

...and for some real fun...

As far as the rear end cover is concerned a careful (don't mar the mating surfaces) use of a screwdriver works well, aggressive use of a prybar for the crossmember.

Every tool, chemical and ounce of patience you can muster as well as brute force is necessary to change the crossmember bushings. Brutal.

Sharky,
When I did my suspension last spring I had the same problem.What I ended up doing was unbolting everything and spraying penetrating oil on the crossmember bushings and letting it sit for a day.Then I installed two bolts without washers in the sombreros(Thats the part on the frame that the crossmember mounts to).Then using a two jaw puller.Once one side breaks gon to the other side.Be prepared though once the second side breaks it will come down fast.Write back and tell us how you made out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom