Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear end fluid

a69vette

Corvette
1969 Triple Black Convertible: 2014 Crys Red Conv
I'm installing a new rear end, what rear end fluid should be used? I've heard of using standard gear oil with posi-lube additive, or using gear oil with posi lube already in it, and I've heard of using a synthetic lube (with or without the additive).
I would like some feedback.
Thanks,
Rick

Go to any GM dealer and get two bottles of posi fluid and two bottles of posi additive - no chatter no worries. I'm sure plenty of variations are out there but I stick with the original stuff - JMHO.

Agree with Shark. Stick with GM. Just had mine changed out. Purrin' like a kitten.;)

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to Arty over at VanSteel, he gave the blessing for the synthetic. Just got back from a little ride.....WOW. I pulled my 4:11 and installed the 3:36. The 350 hp is NOW put to good use. Now I can cruise with the big boys. Great power performance with the hp, and great cruising speed. I tried to open it up for the top end, but I had to chicken out.
Thanks again,
Rick

:)

One sweet thing. I have a numbers matching 4:11 and numbers matching 3:36. I think I've added a little extra value to the car.
:0 :)
I also have an option of what kind of weekend I'd like to have(ha,ha).

Rick

gear

I have been considering a gear change myself. Just out of couriousity where did you get the gears and what did they set you back.

If you dont mind me asking.

I got a special deal. A friend of mine has a '68 BB that's in the middle of a race project. He is getting a full lock up rear end, so he gave me his BB 3:08. Now don't get to excited it's not in good shape. One of the yokes was shot, it had the wrong front yoke on it. But the price was right. I was going to have it rebuilt and put it in the car. I have a 4:11 with an M21 trans. So my friends talked me out of doing the 3:08 (NO get up and GO). Went to ebay and found a guy in Jacksonville, Fl (up the road about 3hrs) who was selling a '69 3:36. I sent him an email and asked if he'd take a '68 BB 3:08 in on trade. He said "yep". $400.00 latter and 6hrs drive time I had a second rear end. Now I have 2 numbers matching rear ends! I look at the 3:08 as a gift and a bargining chip. I couldn't use that gear ratio, and it didn't cost me a thing. I don't know how much to buy a 3:36 out right would be, but I love it.
Good luck (look for someone making major changes)
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom