Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear end help!!!

S

studevette

Hi all,

As always, thanks in advance for anyone who take time out of their day to help me, I really appreciate it!!

Heres the problem. I am getting a "wah-wah" noise from my 2001 Vette's rear end. The speed of the sound increases with the speed of the car, so the faster I go the faster the wah wahs are. I have messed around a little trying to see if I can feel anything loose but cant and am thinking I might have a constant velocity joint going bad. Does this sound like anything anyone has encountered before? I dont have alot of money to get it checked out but if I need to I can since its parked right now.

Anyone know of a good shop/corvette specialty shop in San Antonio Texas that I can take it to?

Or if its something a semi-knowledgable care guy can do then I can probably do it. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

ps-- sorry one more thing, my odometer completely reset a while back so even though I have nearly 40-50,000 miles on it, its only showing like 7,000..... Also my trip odometers reset randomly and I frequently loose all response from the in-dash displays..... anyone??

**** I forgot to add that when I turn to the left the sound goes away or gets much much quieter, but when I turn to the right it gets much much worse. So im thinking its in the drivers side since when I turn to the right the weight shifts to that side, but Im not sure, thats just my guess..... anyways, thanks again

Sounds a bit like something (a tire?) rubbing, but couldn't say without hearing it myself. Send me a private message if you want me to lend an ear before this Sunday (01 August); otherwise, I could put you in touch with a friend of mine who's a bit more into the "nuts-n-bolts" mechanical aspects of the C5 Corvette (he's got an '01 Z06 and autocrosses it).

I've never had to have anything major done to mine, but have my vehicles serviced at D & S Garage (639 West Rhapsody Drive, off US-281 over by San Antonio International Airport; in fact, gotta get mine over there for inspection before the end of the month...). Their phone number is 210-340-8054; ask for Tony Gutierrez. From what I understand, when that Corvette World lot was open over that direction, D & S would service all of their vehicles, so they should have pretty good knowledge about the C5. In any case, D & S are skilled at what they do, and if they can't help you, I'm confident they will tell you so rather than making the situation worse by trying. About the only alternative I could offer is a Chevy dealer. Personally, I would take it to Cavender up I-10 in Boerne before Tom Benson over by the airport...

The rest sounds electrical in nature; perhaps a short somewhere...? Never heard of the vehicle odometer resetting...? :confused Again, maybe D & S would have some insight there...?

hey thanks tim, I actually have been there, got my vette aligned there and yes they seemed to be fine, I didnt know they used to do the work on the vettes at vetteworld, that makes a difference. I will give them a call and maybe they can help me out. Thanks alot!! Ill message you if I have further questions, thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom