Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear end leak

MCMLVII

Corvette
BLACK 57, blu 15 vert
I have a 2004 C-5. 15K miles

Noticed a small anount of oil (size of golf ball) under rear end (center of car).

It is at a dealership now.

What can I expect? Not looking forward to a call from them.

Thanks,

MCMLVII

You should expect them to tell you what was wrong, what they fixed, and your keys back! Waranty.

check out the tech session. Lots of info on the problem there. I just had a leaky seal replaced under warranty.

MCMLVII said:
I have a 2004 C-5. 15K miles

Noticed a small anount of oil (size of golf ball) under rear end (center of car).

It is at a dealership now.

What can I expect? Not looking forward to a call from them.

Thanks,

MCMLVII

You can expect a new gasket and no more leak:)

You should expect them to tell you that it happens all the time and that they fixed it and it will cost you $0.00

They SHOULD replace more than the gasket.

What has happened to many many C5's is that one of the differential end plates (or side plates if you like) has had a bolt over torqued thus "dimpling" the aluminum plate. Subsequently that is where the leak occurs. The "dimpled" plate is trash, SO, they need to replace the plate and the gasket.

Been there, done that. It's very common with these cars. Replacing only the gasket in most cases is not the answer.

Glennm27 said:
You should expect them to tell you that it happens all the time and that they fixed it and it will cost you $0.00

What has happened to many many C5's is that one of the differential end plates (or side plates if you like) has had a bolt over torqued thus "dimpling" the aluminum plate. Subsequently that is where the leak occurs. The "dimpled" plate is trash, SO, they need to replace the plate and the gasket.

Been there, done that. It's very common with these cars. Replacing only the gasket in most cases is not the answer.

So you are saying even with an '04 that hasn't leaked in the first 15,000 miles and all of the sudden starts leaking that the problem is an overtorqued bolt???Then why didn't it leake sooner ?...;shrug

Glennm27 said:

Thanks Glennm27,

This type of information is the reason I asked the question.

Got the car back and they replaced an "o" ring (89047953) and left axle seal (88996703) and a bolt. Per bulletin.

Looks like I keep an eye on it.

Appreciate the "heads-up"

MCMLVII

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom