Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear End Noise

59-62USNVET

Corvette
Had:76,87TT,90TT,03 ZO6, Have 06 ZO6
About 6 months ago I started to get a grinding noise from the rear end. Took it to the dealer and they drained the lube and put in an additive as directed from GM. Noise went away but it started to come back recently when taking corners.
The dealer's mechanic told me to complain and they helped in getting a new rear from Chevrolet. It seems that this older problem is being addressed by Chevy recently and they are approving a new rear covered under the warranty. So they will put in the rear and re-glue the roof next week.Hope they don't screw-up the paint job.http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
59-62USNVET

i have an 06 z and had similar problem, drained and flushed but the noise came back, not as bad yet. dealer will repack the clutches but from what i've read about it it still comes back. also i read a post elsewhere that they tried Amisol severe rear end fluid and there additive and i guess that has held up. stuffs not cheap either, but i might try that after car goes back on road

Noisy Rear

daking:
Complain to your dealer and they have to put a new rear in. Chevrolet pays them for it under warrantee. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do it.
59-62USNVET

how new is the product, i just had it done no more than 6 mos ago. i will check my sheet and see what they put in. tnx

New Fluid

They did put in the new fluid and the noise came back. That is why they put a new rear in. All is fine so far.
59-62USNVET

HI there,
Your post was in Jan 9, the new fluid was not released until that actual day, per TSB 07.04.20.002.
So they probably used the old fluid with frictional modifier BEFORE the new fluid, which actually contains the friction modifier in it, was available.
Allthebest, c4c5

Just puled the receipts for the rear end work, The new lube & additive was done on Aug. 21, 2007 @ 8721 miles.
The new rear was done on Jan. 17, 2008 @ 9375 miles.
I guess the timing was lucky for me??? Will find out.
59-62USNVET

they should be repacing your clutch packs. There is a TSB on this, the addittive alone will only be a temp fix, make sure they change the clutch packs!:beer

they should be repacing your clutch packs. There is a TSB on this, the addittive alone will only be a temp fix, make sure they change the clutch packs!:beer
Read above more closely.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom