Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear fiberglass fender

Corvettekid85

Corvette
black 1975 corvette
corvette.jpgthe rear fender on my 75 is cracked from all the years sitting in my backyard. mainly from heat/cold because i live in washington and you never know what the weathers going to be like. i was going to see if anyone had any ideas on were i could purchase one of these pieces. and also how much it sould cost. thanks. Ckid

Get a hold of ACI In Toledo Ohio....they make ALL the fiberglass panels for the industry....If you buy it from a corvette vendor,they bought it from ACI....

View attachment 4112the rear fender on my 75 is cracked from all the years sitting in my backyard. mainly from heat/cold because i live in washington and you never know what the weathers going to be like. i was going to see if anyone had any ideas on were i could purchase one of these pieces. and also how much it sould cost. thanks. Ckid

That's called the "rear fascia" or "rear bumper cover", not a fender. The original part was made of urethane, and what you see is typical of how they deteriorated over the years.

Several suppliers reproduce them in fiberglass, which is your only choice for a replacement. ACI is one, and there are others as well; someone will chime in with the names.

:beer

Re:

Hey thanks for the website! i was looking at the Rear Bumper for the 75 but there is no price? can anyone look at the website and figure out how much it is? thanks. Ckid

The stock rear bumper facia was urethane - not fiberglass. ACI offers a Flexible Rear Bumper facia very similar to the original, and the 1975 versions are available with or without the "corvette" letter indentations. Both versions retail for $399.99. 1-piece fiberglass (hard) rear bumper facias are typically available for about $350. The stock GM rear urethane facias are no longer available from any source that I'm familiar with. You can still get the front GM urethane bumper facias for 1975 - they run about $700.

Lars

A friend of mine has a '74 and found his rear cover on the floor in a pile of dust,for no reason whatsoever.....
apparently these bumpers are coming to the end of there life span.....:eyerole:eyerole

The urethane bumper covers first appeared in '73 (front only) and I imagine were never intended to last almost 40 years. I have an original GM piece on the front of mine and it too is sadly coming to the end of it's days. I tiptoe past it and say nice words but the plastic has gotten very brittle and has some cracks showing.

The larger rear covers that appeared first as a two piece in '74 and a one piece in '75 are even more susceptible to hardening and it's pretty rare these days to see one still intact.

Allowing the car to sit probably extended the life somewhat, but the inevitable has arrived. ;)

My '81 has just been professionally painted, and both Urethane covers have been removed, and I have handled them:
No brittleness whatsoever!
They are very flexible indeed, with 3 large dimples in the top of the front cover, which I understand are called the "Californian wave"
My car came last year from CA, where it has always been.

Perhaps that extreme cold has such a destructive effect on these covers, as the one's from the heat, are still flexible; I just watched 3 of these, all from CA.

Cor

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom