Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear jack point

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
I searched as best i could, but couldn't find an answer to my question. I want to jack the rear using the rear most center crossmember on the frame just ahead of the rear wheels where the frame kicks up. I read some use the differential and rear spring and i really don't want to do that. Some opt for the center side rail, lift the whole side and place jack stands at the ends and repeat on the other side.

Didn't really come across a lot of recommendations to use the rear most frame cross member. Any reasons why? Can i use this to lift the rear and then place jack stands at the side rails? Seems like a better option than using the diff and spring and don't really want to go the side route.

The strongest (and most stable) floor jacking point is the spring retainer plate on the bottom of the differential. :thumb

:beer

I have been jacking up using both rear spring plate and center of side frame rail for 17 years and both work very well. I cut out a large thick rubber pad that I place on the jack to act as a cushion. I think it was and old home plate from my softball days. Anyway, this gets the car up high enough to place 2 jack stand under at one time.

That seems to be the concensus, but what about the frame crossmember that i mentioned? Is that too weak or run the risk of damaging something? Just curious.

I don't follow what cross member you are talking about. I never jack under the front (front of engine) or the center cross member. I only jack under the side frame rails near but not under the center cross member. The side frame rails are super strong and I can lift both front and rear wheels on same side.

I was talking about the center cross member right before the frame rails kick up by the rear wheels.

Anyhow, i did the side frame rails in the middle with a jack and placed jack stands by jacking points. Felt a little odd at first, but is now safely on four jack stands.:cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom