Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear license area filler

jonstr

The rear license area on 91-024 is body color, and on the Speedster it is black. I hadn't really noticed this before because the 'Speedster' plate almost fills the entire space.

At first I thought that there was some kind of a filler panel on the Speedster, so I posted on the ZR1 forum to see if the panel/bracket from a ZR1 would work. Unfortunately, the space between the backup lights on a ZR1 is narrower (16" vs. 17.5" - Thanks Aurora40), so the ZR1 part won't work.

So I went back to the Speedster again and discovered that this gap is actually not a filler panel, it's painted with a textured black paint.

I really think this will look better on the yellow car if those gaps were filled in black, but I'm not really prepared (technically or emotionally) to spray paint it, so I'm thinking that some kind of a textured plastic sheet, cut to the right size, is all I really need.

I know I've seen this material somewhere, but I can't recall where or when, so before I spend time hunting through hardware and parts stores trying to find the right type of material, I'm wondering if anyone else has made something like this and knows where I can get it.

Maybe go and have it airbrushed by a pro? Shouldn't take but a half an hour or so to prep and spray it.

Not a permanent solution, but that Duplicolor spray-on "bra" stuff might work just to let you get a feel for it? It's a greyish black and a bit flat in color. And if you don't like it, it washes right off.

Maybe go and have it airbrushed by a pro? Shouldn't take but a half an hour or so to prep and spray it.

That would address the technical readiness of spraying it, but not the "emotional" readiness. :ugh I'm not sure I can bring myself to have it sprayed just in case it doesn't look right. If I can fill it in and it looks good, then having it professionally sprayed would be the next step.

Not a permanent solution, but that Duplicolor spray-on "bra" stuff might work just to let you get a feel for it? It's a greyish black and a bit flat in color. And if you don't like it, it washes right off.

I hadn't thought of that. I may give it a try if I can't find the plastic sheeting I'm looking for.

Jon,
My SuperNatural has the areas on the sides of the plate painted and Callaway. Looks pretty good.

Jon,
My SuperNatural has the areas on the sides of the plate painted and Callaway. Looks pretty good.

Thanks for posting the photo. I do like that look. Now that I've seen it, maybe I will just go ahead and have it painted.

I like the looks of the letters too. Maybe I can have them both done at the same time...

I like it in black as well. Looks nice!

If you can't bring yourself to paint it the plastic you are looking for is ABS plastic. 1/8" or 1/4" and the texture is already there. Any car stereo store should have it and can the size your need smoothly. Or you can buy it from Tessco or many companies. Very inexpensive

I like that photo, Jim. And the black looks very good with the black body trim. :thumb

:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann-I told Jon the black letters get alot of discussion at the shows. The paint has held up pretty good because the original owner painted along time ago.

If you can't bring yourself to paint it the plastic you are looking for is ABS plastic. 1/8" or 1/4" and the texture is already there. Any car stereo store should have it and can the size your need smoothly. Or you can buy it from Tessco or many companies. Very inexpensive

THAT'S where I've seen it - in custom stereo surround panels. Thanks Shopview! Right now I'm leaning toward painting it (once I find the SEM product 89x2 referenced in the other thread), but I may just stop at the local stereo shop to see if I can pick up a sheet and give it a try. It may tend to fade in the Arizona sun over time, but the car won't be sitting outside much anyway.

i used the zr1 plate on my aerobody it fit fine. it needed something in there to fill the space. i know there are some pictures out there you can
look at when it was at the ncm.

steve

i used the zr1 plate on my aerobody it fit fine. it needed something in there to fill the space. i know there are some pictures out there you can
look at when it was at the ncm.

steve

Thanks Steve. That's weird. I posted in the ZR1 forum and Aurora40 measured their plate for me at 16". The gap between my backup lights is 17.5", so it looked like it was not going to fit.

In any case, I bought a can of the SEM black out used by Callaway (from one of 89x2's threads) and painted it. It came out great! :thumb

I decided not to do the letters for now.

i painted the letter takes time to tape off. really makes the rear of the car stand out.

i like you new toy never can have just one.

steve

In any case, I bought a can of the SEM black out used by Callaway (from one of 89x2's threads) and painted it. It came out great! :thumb

I decided not to do the letters for now.

Post new photos when you're able Jon. I'd like to see it finished. :thumb

Jonstr: Would think black would look great on speedster but I'm like you not sure about letters? Just seen the Magazine article on car. Nice article and I remember seeing Dave and Reeves take car @ BG :thumb Ike

Post new photos when you're able Jon. I'd like to see it finished. :thumb

Here you go. (I need to make a question mark and attach it to the license plate frame to finish this off. Haven't gotten around to that yet.):upthumbs

IMG_2587.JPG

Jonstr: Would think black would look great on speedster but I'm like you not sure about letters? Just seen the Magazine article on car. Nice article and I remember seeing Dave and Reeves take car @ BG :thumb Ike

Thanks Ike. The article and photos came out great, I think. I may do the letters on the yellow car at some point. I do like the look, but I just didn't feel like taking the time to do all the masking around the letters when I did the plate area.

Jonstr,
It looks great!! What a great looking car!!
Jim

Looks great Jon!! JMO but I like it better with the black inserts instead of car color inserts. :thumb I think the letters will look good. :cool

BTW - love the tag! Here's mine.
HPIM0315_SIG.jpg

I'll have to find a copy of the article too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom