Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear main seal

Ricochett

Corvette
1969 Corvette convertible
On a 427 chevy big block the rear main seal does the > the big end or the opening face the front of the motor and the pointed face the rear???does any body have any pictures????thanxs joe

How I think about it but maybe I'm wrong.

With the (opening) > is to the inside of the engine, when putting oil pressure to it the > will "open" more so no oil can slip behind it. When the opening is to the outside the oil pressure will press the opening together so oil can slip around it. :)
So always the opening > to the side where to oil pressure is.

Greetings Peter

THis is a picture of a small block seal- the difference is the diameter and sometimes the color- Victor Reinz has proven to me to be pretty decent in a BB..

The side you're looking at in this picture goes to the FRONT of the block.

Some tips and tricks- In a past life I worked heavy line at a couple different Chevy dealers.

1. When you get the cap off and the seal removed, use a wire wheel and "carefully" buff the cap on both sides of the seal. Clean the whole thing with brake cleaner and either blow dry or let it air dry.
2. Be sure and use the little spoon or installation tool that comes with the new seal. Failure to do so will possibly slice the rib off the back of the seal (it's in the groove on the OD of the seal), and it won't seal properly.
3. The world seems to be obsessed with installing the seal so the ends are offset. It was not designed that way GM. Your call.
4. Use an anerobic sealant on the edges of the cap all the way to the front and on the rear behind the seal. Using RTV is a bad plan. RTV is too thick.. #2 Permatex, Indian Head Gasket Shellac, or Loctite makes a really good red anerobic sealer. Use the SEALER--NOT the red locktite.

These are from the instructions that come with a GM seal. Again, this a SB seal, but the BB's use the SAME STYLE.

I forgot- the last time I posted these pictures, the guy that actually took them cried like a little girl so I deleted the entire post. On another forum.

Rear Main Seal

Thanxs for the info everyone i was hoping the open in went inside
the motor because that is how installed it.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom