Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Shocks (touring, not performance)

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
I just looked through my VBP catalogue and they want $29.95 a piece for KYB GR2 shocks. So, I started looking around. I can get gas shocks from Monroe, Napa, or Autozones brand for about $20 each. I like the idea of having the lifetime warranty and local store availability, but I don't want crappy shocks.

As I stated in the topic, I want something for touring, that is very forgiving, since I won't be auto-Xing. I'm running the original 7 leaf spring and rubber bushings in my 77.

Any experiences with parts house shocks let me know.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ,

I put on the Reactek AC/Delco gas shocks in the back and like the ride. There was a noticeable difference in performance when I first put them on, the car didn't seem to squat like it did under acceleration, without being too stiff. I think I paid $35 each at www.tld-corvette.com.

Bob

I'm running the KYB's. A little firmer than stock but not stiff at all. I'm real happy with the ride. I run a composite spring.

Carlo

I found the KYB GR2 shocks for $17 each at Summit, that means $41 with the "handling" fee. I can't believe that Vettebrakes wants $30 each for these shocks! I guess I'll probably order these shocks, since they are well recommended from other forum members and they are the same price (actually cheaper) than the big house brands.

Still inviting opinions though. :)

Russ

I use A/C Delco Heavy Duty shocks all around with a composite spring in the rear. Im very happy with the set up! :love

Check for KYB's at local stores, autozone and advance, I'm pretty sure I got the KYB's on the 74 localy. I've had good luck in general with KYB shocks/struts...

Jim,

Everyone has their opinions on the Bilstein Shocks. Everyone seems to agree that they are a very aggressive performance shock that ride a lot stiffer than the KYB's. This is what I have gathered:

If you like a stiff suspension and/or plan to race or want the car to drive like it's "on rails", go with the Bilstein and other upgrades. The car will be more torturous on bumpy roads and can be fatiguing to your back.

If you want a more smooth ride with less performance and do not plan on autocrossing go with the KYB GR2's. They will absorb the road a little better but will the car will not handle like it's on rails.

Personally, I can not see any reason I would need the car to handle any better than the factory gymkhana suspension. I don't race so I don't need it. I do need the fillings to stay in my teeth so I'm going with the KYB's.

Just what I've gathered.

Russ

P.S. do a search for shocks. There are a bunch of threads about Bilstein vs. Koni vs. KYB

Thanks Russ, It's nice to finally hear someone describ in laymans terms the difference, and what is expected from the two types of ride( I don't think I need to be on rails if my back has anything to say about it). Thanks, Jim

No problem Jim! Glad I could help out.

Russ

Russ,
I had the KYB's on my '73 until I put the VBP suspension on earlier this year (Bilstein came with it). I can tell you that the KYB's are much smoother overall, and the Bilstein's are great performance shocks.
I only had the KYB's on for a few months before I got the VBP kit. I sell the KYB's to you cheap if you want them. You would need to check if they are the same for your '77. I paid $28 a peice for them new. I'd sell all four to you for $50.
Let me know. I have them sitting in my garage. I could ship them to you next week.

I've had KYB's on for a couple of seasons now, they give me the ride I was looking for. :cool

Rick

Hijinx,

Doh!!!! I just ordered a pair for the rears about 30 minutes before you posted. I ended up paying $40 for the pair at Summit. I need to check the forum more often. :) Thanks for the offer though, it would have been a great deal! Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to replace the front shocks? The rears are easy, but the fronts look a little more difficult.

Tangee-vette,

Thanks for the info. I had heard that they were smoother and a little more bearable than the Bilsteins. Glad to see a fellow 77 that enjoys them!

Russ

Actually, I found the rear shocks harder to replace than the front. The fronts come off easy. One nut on top and two on bottom. My wife says they are a lot like me, for some reason. :duh

You can always send the Summit units back and get the full set for $10 more. Just a thought.

Hijinx,

I just talked to Summit and they said they have already processed the order. I'd have to pay return shipping of about $12. It's just not worth the hassle to return them to Summit. Thanks again though for the offer. You might want to PM wicky88s1975, it sounds like he is thinking of getting the KYB's as well.

I'm kind of surprised that the front shocks were that easy. Did you already have other suspension parts removed, or was it simply the removal of 3 nuts, installation of the shocks, replacement of the nuts, and on the road again?

Russ

Russ,
Even for a klutz like me:( It was a breeze front and rear.:w

Carlo

Basically, remove 1 nut and 2 bolts and it drops right out. Make sure you have the car up high enough for them to be removed, the length of the shock. It is really no hassel at all. Like I said, the back was harder, especially if there is a lot of rust (which I have).

Good Luck on the shocks.

Thanks Hijinx!

I've already got the rear shocks out so hopefully the front ones will be as easy as yours were.

Thanks again for the offer on your KYB's. I'm sure if you post them in the classifieds here on the forum someone will be sure to snag them.

Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom