Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Spring-330 or 360-lb?

Gator05

Corvette
1964 Convertible
My 9-leaf is too fatigued--looking at replacing it with VBP Composite Monospring.
Who has had experience with spring rates--do I really need a 360-lb or will the 330-lb work for general gearheading around town and the occassional bootleg turnaround?
Thanks.
Mike

Last fall I replaced my 9 leaf w/ a 330 from corvette central..What a difference,If you dont need original equip. I recommend a composit. I also had to use a 10 inch bolt to lower my rear end.After installing composite,rear end sat high about 2 inches..
Also while I was back there, I replaced rearend cover w/a heavy duty one..$90. Good luck..

Last fall I replaced my 9 leaf w/ a 330 from corvette central..What a difference,If you dont need original equip. I recommend a composit. I also had to use a 10 inch bolt to lower my rear end.After installing composite,rear end sat high about 2 inches..
Also while I was back there, I replaced rearend cover w/a heavy duty one..$90. Good luck..

Gator,

I have the 420 lb drag composit in mine and it is very stiff but I like it that way. Also did the HD diff cover. I think the 330 would be fine for all purpose fun, remember the weight savings is substantial. Do it!

Best regards,
Gerry

Thanks, guys! 330-lb it is then. HD rear end cover, aye--I will check that out too. Thanks again. Mike

When I purchased my 66 it had a composit in the rear and tubeular a-arms in the front with a composit spring,

My first midyear and I thought it drove OK. But every one who drove it complemented on how it drove.

I removed the composits and when back to factory correct suspention.

WOW what a differance it was I thought something was installed wrong as the car was loose as a goose.

Now I am used to the way it drives and think its great but I do remember the first ride after taking the composit springs off

Best of luck and enjoy,Your in for a treat

Thanks, guys! 330-lb it is then. HD rear end cover, aye--I will check that out too. Thanks again. Mike

Your best option would be to chose the composite spring from VBP with the " Duel rear Mount ". That way you could experiment different spring rates from 300 to 450 lbs, and settle on the one that will give you the most comfortable ride.

You would also not need to replace any damaged rear cover, as it bolts up to the X-member.

As for myself, this is the way the last couple of Corvettes have been built/modified, and I will never go back to the factory center/differential mount.

Stepinwolf

I went from a 300# to a 330# when i bought the car. It's still too bouncy for me and will go to the 360#. My 33o# has less than 500 miles on it since the car was disassembled for restoration back in 2003. I'll sell it if you're interested and go ahead and buy the 360#. Send me an email if you haven't purchased it yet and we can discuss it.
Sal

I put a 330# on with Bilstein Sport shocks. I did a complete package from VBP. It road way too hard for me. When I called VBP they recommended dropping to a 300# rear. It was better but still too hard. I replaced the shocks with Koni adjustables and that was a big improvement but having to remove them to make adjustments was a bit of a pain. I then put Spax external adjustbale shocks. That is the ticket for me. The 330# spring may have been alright in the beginning if I had the Spax shocks.

Just to put spring rates in perspective. As I understand it stock ratings are 195# front and 140# rear. F41 rates are basicly double. So a 300# rear spring is pretty much a F41 rate.

You had a nice atricle in CORVETTE FEVER this last month, It was nice to how your factory was set up to do all the different manufacturing process.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom