Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear spring lowering

Skip99

Heres what i have, apparently a replacement spring, seems to have a lot of arch, car sits about 2 inches too high in the rear. There is no one around close that will de arch a spring that ive found. So, the question is how close to the tire can i get with longer bolts? Already looks close to me, and 2 inchs lower there puts it pretty low. How close are some of the cars you have done or seen?
is it possible to remove a spring leaf?
or if it is too close could i trim off a quarter inch on the end of the spring ?

31 views and not one response? :eyerole

First off- put the car back on the ground and measure end clearance with the suspension settled. I bet it will be fine.

Next- to lower the rear end, try longer bolts. It's common to need 8" bolts in place of the stock 5 3/4" (I think) pieces when an aftermarket spring is installed. The rubber cushions at each end of the bolts are overdue for replacement.

Also- whoever installed the spring forgot to remove the shipping bands. The one on the left side has slipped and has partially fallen apart. Remove both.

Rebuilt the rear using 8" spring bolts with 17" wheels. It's real close to the rim but has not made contact... yet.

Be careful,that as the tire heats up from going down the road,it doesn't expand to the point where that could be a problem!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom