Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear tire-size clearance on '80/C3...

Vette/Berlina-coupe

Corvette
C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!
Rear 255-70R tire-size clearance on C3...

A.) -just installed a pair of 255-70R's on my factory 8"x15"steel/rally-wheels (really some heafty meat i would like to stay with rather than 235-75R's), and while the outer-sidewall clearance at the wheel-arch is just enough to slip your finger-tips through, -the inner-sidewall clearance seems problematically terribly close relative to the chassis particularly at the aftward half of the tire-sidewall... -thus would appreciate any first-hand advise about this situation or how to possibly alleviate any rubbing at the mentioned tight region...
~Bob vH
;help
B.) Joe/MaineShark: -with my driveway my '80Vette needs the added 1-inch ground-clearance, and don't want to install airlift-shocks; -so this is why i am seeking out someone specifically having experience using the above 70's. And thanks for the reminder, --as now at an indicated 70-mph she will be doing an approximate actual 74mph; --so will need to keep it down to say 66-mph(indicated) to avoid confrontation with CHiPs!!

C.) Have finally had a chance to look under (was going by hand-feel previously) from both the forward as well as aftward visual aspects of the new-tires, and found that the major interference-condition is aft of the axle, where a flexible fiberglass/splash-panel needs to be either pulled-inboard away from the tire-sidewall (or probably simply trimmed-away entirely in the interference region). The tire-sidewall is a good 1/2"-away from the immediately adjacent antisway-bar (which is ample); --Inspecting forward of the axle one finds that there is at least 1/4"-clearance between the tire-sidewall and the parking-brake flex/cable-armature mooring-bracket (where the R&L/cables enter the backing-plates), --which is probably about all the 60's have as well since it is radially outward of the rim about an inch.
Funny, appears am answering my own quiry here, --but alas, am explaining all of this for anyone who may be contemplating likewise installing such rather heafty 255-70Rx15" -tires. CONCLUSION: -Visually, i rather like the larger size of these tires, which make the 60's appear kinda whimpy in comparison; --plus, with 60's up front one can achieve a slight nose-down look that imparts a more aggressive appearing stance; --although i grant you that they do raise the car's CG slightly, i do not fear this C3 is going to be toppling-over because of it...

255-70 is too large. 255-60 is the right size, and definitely fits. The 70-series tire (in addition to making the speedometer read wrong) has a taller sidewall (7.03" vs. 6.02"), which will allow more "bulge," effectively making the clearance smaller. I don't know whether you are actually having problems with rubbing, but if you are, then switching to 255-60 tires should eliminate it.

Joe

I agree with Maineshark. I also have an 80. The 70 series tire is too tall by 2". Get the 255/60/15, they are basically the same width (255 mm), with less "bulge", and not as tall, so your speedometer will read right. Plus the 60 tire is lower profile and should handle a little better. This is what I have on my car, fits perfect. Don't modify your car to fit taller tires. Just my .02

I have 255-60's on my 81 (it was the factory option tire size). They fit fine and look great. I agree with whats been said, the right tire size is definately the way to go.

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom