Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Tire Wear

aerie1761

Corvette
1981 & 2002
I recently put new tires around about 8 months ago On my 1995 Corvette.The front tires still look new the rear tires look like they are three years old.Took it for an alignment and the right rear was not even close as far as specs.I jacked it up I can wiggle the wheel up and down and there is a lot of play it almost looks like the yoke is moving in and out of the rear.The other side is fine.All the bushings tie rods ends shocks struts look good what am I missing. what throws me of is that yoke moving in and out about 1/8" which throws off the whole rear.Any suggestions Thanks 1995 Corvette

You may have a problem with your rear bearings. How many miles on this car since the last time they were serviced?

When you took it in for alignment, didn't they check the play, to see whats wrong???

12-6 O'clock play usually means a wheel bearing is bad.

They do alignments only and not repairs they did say that it looked like it was in the yoke but that doesnt make sense .I thought wheel bearing at first,but what bothers me is that 1/8" gap in the yoke coming out at the rear.But you are right the play is 6-12 oclock. Its not just the wheel that moves up and down but the whole side of the suspension. Im usually pretty good with this stuff but Im a little baffled here Thanks

The spindle nut pulls the yoke tight into the bearing assy., so if the nut is loose you would be experiencing the problem you describe. The other possibility is that the washer/spacer (goes between the bearing/hub and yoke) has disintegrated (unlikely) or missing (how long have you owned the car, and do you know what service the previous owners had done). For safety's sake, I wouldn't drive the car much until you get this problem resolved.

I have owned the car a little over a year and didnt notice a problem until the the tire wear in the rear after installing new tires . The front tires still look new while the rear tires look 3 years old.The car rides great and Iam not hearing any stange noises in the rear.I assume the spindle nut is inside the differiential housing. Thanks all for your help

aerie1761 said:
I have owned the car a little over a year and didnt notice a problem until the the tire wear in the rear after installing new tires . The front tires still look new while the rear tires look 3 years old.The car rides great and Iam not hearing any stange noises in the rear.I assume the spindle nut is inside the differiential housing. Thanks all for your help
The spindle nut is on the outboard end. If you take the wheel off, you'll be looking right at it. Actually, if you look closely at my signature pic, you can see the spindle nut at the center (between the lug bolts)

Got it, thanks ,time to buy a shop manual. the one for my 81 does not work on the 95.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom