Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear Tires recommendations for 2008?

Rustee

Corvette
2015 Stingray
Well, I just bought my vette used with 12K miles; the rear tires are down to the wear bars. The size is 285 35zr19's and I'm wondering if folks have recommendations on best tire to get?
How long do these tires last on these if your not "hard" on them??
TX!!

HI there,
I have customers who have gotten 25000 on a set easy and still have tread on them.

Balancing and alignments once a year and you should do just fine.

Many of my customers swear by the PS2 from Michelin, as they are also top rated by Consumerreports.org .

Personally, they give a better ride than the Goodyears and have about the same characteristics.

Allthebest, c4c5

I'll add that tread life with the OE tires depends on whether the car has base suspension and Goodyear F1 GS EMT-2s or has Z51 with Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs.

The Supercar EMT will wear quicker than the GS EMT-2.

What Hib said!

I'm rolling at 21K+ on my 08's tires now and plenty of tread left. They are GS2's on a MagRide car. I friend has a Z51 08 that came with the Supercar tires and he's already replaced them. My experience with the Supercar tire is on my CTS-V and I went through 2 sets of them in 2 years before mounting F1 GS D3's which have gone 3 years and well over 20K miles.

If the D3 is available in C6 sizes when I need new tires on my C6's, I'm going to be looking at them. Otherwise, I can't complain about the Michelin PS2 A/S ZP tires - I used them on my C5 and was very happy with them.

Btw, GY is supposed to be working on a third generation run-flat that should improve road noise and still retain the run-flat distance.
One of the reasons Michelin tires are quieter is that they are only rated for 50 miles with no air. The GS2 is rated for 100 miles and the first generation GY run-flat was rated for 200 miles and 0.8 g cornering. There's a reason the GY seems hard and noisy - it works harder when flat!

My 08 has 8k on it and shows almost no wear. The only complaint I have with the GY'S is road noise!By the way I always run extra 5lb of air.

HI there,
I have customers who have gotten 25000 on a set easy and still have tread on them.

Balancing and alignments once a year and you should do just fine.

Many of my customers swear by the PS2 from Michelin, as they are also top rated by Consumerreports.org .

Personally, they give a better ride than the Goodyears and have about the same characteristics.

Allthebest, c4c5
Just what I've found although GY has made some effort to improve their tires I'll go to Michelins when it's time .

I'd NEVER again put Goodyear Rockflat's on my 08. Buying some Nitto Invo's for mine and putting 305/30/19's on the back too. 8K miles on mine and I have wear on the rears in the middle and run lower psi (26lbs. cold) in back too.

OP~ since you have the standard car, there are many choices to you. I've heard good things from the Firestone "Wide Oval" runflat. Since you are looking for maximum tire life, I recommend an alignment from a place that knows what their doing. The specs from Chevrolet are so wide that a lousy alignment will still be "within spec." If you want "more precise" specs for alignment, PM me.

OP~ since you have the standard car, there are many choices to you. I've heard good things from the Firestone "Wide Oval" runflat. Since you are looking for maximum tire life, I recommend an alignment from a place that knows what their doing. The specs from Chevrolet are so wide that a lousy alignment will still be "within spec." If you want "more precise" specs for alignment, PM me.

Where should I take my vette for alignment since the dealership specs are so broad? I hit a nasty spot on the onramp about a 1k mi ago....I think my vette is out of alignment because 'grooves' or uneven road surfaces seem to cause the car to want to dart off to the right (same side I hit pothole-it was a hole and high spot in one) since then and I really have noticed it lately.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom