Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Window Hatch?

C3L81

Corvette
1981 White vette 24k mi
Hey Guys. Sorry for the stupid question. Im still very new to the corvette world. Anyways I saw a add for a 81 vette in a auto trader mag, and the picture had the rear window open like a hatch. Anyways I thought that the 81's rear hatch didnt open and that didnt start until 82. It could be a misprint (as a 82) or somone tricked it out. None of the 81's rear hatch opened correct? Or is there a secret to opening it? Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb question :)

nope, to my knowledge there is no 81s that open at the rear hatch... could possibly be a moded 81 w/ 82 hardware, or someone mistaken on the year...

SpartanSith

Correct, the rear window hatch was introduced in 1982. Others have been modified to open, but I don't see why someone would. For all the space behind the seats, it doesn't seem worth the effort to put an opening window in, that you would lave to lean over the car about a foot to access - from the side. And here's hoping it doesn't leak. . . . Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Craig

I'll just throw my .02 in here and confirm most of what "craig32" & "SpartanSith" have said ;)

The only hatch back window in our body style ... was the 1982 CE BUT... there USED to be a company that sold the aftermarket kit to convert standard 1980 ~ 1982 Corvettes to have the hatch back window.

We have a member from Maryland "NUT" that has a very very rare 1981, it came from the factory with "Primer Paint" the option was called "SPEC" so far it is the only documented "SPEC" 1981 and is documented here at CAC, the L81VetteRegistry and in Mike Antonick's Black Book. NUT's car was also modified for the hatch back window ;)

I met a fellow at the Bowling Green in 2001 during "The Rendezvous" that had a standard 1982 with a factory looking hatch back. He said he bought a wrecked 1982 CE and had the hardware installed on his Charcoal Gray 1982.

There are 1980's ~ 1982's with the after market kits and salvaged 1982 CE components installed on them.

It reminds me of when the 1964 Corvette was released, I knew one guy that had his back window removed in his 1963 and the 1964 window installed... looking back now :eek but at the time it seemed like the thing to do, at least for him ;)

Bud

Hey Guys...... C&C made the kit but went out of business over 10 years ago. Some years ago (rare81) saw one up for bid on eBay. If I remember it went for over $3K (without) any documentation.

There are pro's and con's for the window. Is it nice to have? Yes. Does it get a lot of attention? Oh yeah. It does make it easier to get things in and out on the rear area. It also lets my wife buy stuff that normally wouldn't fit in the back without popping the window (that's a story for another time).

The draw backs: everyone wants to see it work like it's some kind of magic. So now the pull cord has been stretched to where it doesn't disengage the hold-down bolts easily. There are NO replacement parts for ANYTHING in this kit. It leaks, thankfully not much but it does leak. I have been looking for a replacement window seal for 10 years (so have the 82CE boys). I've gone as far as injecting RTV in the seal folds to help stop the leaks. Thankfully it leaks into the rear tray and not in the carpetting. The plastic coverings are starting to get UV dried and cracking. And God help me if the glass gets blown out. Sayanara hatch.......... hello sealed rear window. You also have to be VERY cognizant of having an exposed belt buckle when you are leaning in to get something.

In reality it's a conversation piece. Would I go out and buy one to have one? No. But here's picture of mine.

later......... nut :D

Thanks for the info Guys! The longer I look at the picture the more I think its a 82. I must admit it looks easier to deal with your T-tops with a rear Hatch, but Im happy with my vette the way it is. Cheers

I never put the T-Tops in through the rear hatch. I always fold the seats down and put them in that way (even when the hatch popped easily years ago).

nut

All the things apply as Nut said.. Especially having a beltbuckle scrape across the side deck, leaning over, putting stuff in there.. yeah.. Mine came with the car (obviously) otherwise i wouldnt convert it.. Seems to be a lot of trouble for the few times i actually open it up (and then mostly for show and tell)..

(Not to sidetrack the thread, but..)
Nut: Cant use use the Seal for a 82 ? I replaced mine with a Ecklers (they were the only ones selling the OE version :eyerole ) and it seemed to fix a small leakage i had before that (on the bottom of the hatch, next to the front)..
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=A2951&dept_id=1517
Expensive? Oh yes! But it fit like a glove..

:w
-Stefan

Stefan..... thanks for the link. I will look into it. But I'd sure rather have some new plastic trim parts and that pull cable. Those are UV'd (dried) to the point of being very fragile.

....... nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom