Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear window shelf

K

Kap142

I have a 72 BB coupe. When I purchased the car this past year I saw that the rear window shelf was not there. I determined that I would locate one and re-install it as it was (I believe) from the factory.:ugh

Well I found one and acquired it and then the chase was on for the brackets and after acquiring all the pieces I began the install.:W:W

According to the AM and by measurements I located where the template holes (roughly) should have been for the original mount. Their arn't any nor is their any indication that the front shelf retaining bracket ever was there as no hole of any nature exists anywhere in the area either.;shrug

I am at a loss to understand.

Can anyone offer insite, photos, experience to help?;shrug;help;help

Ken:confused

Ken,
The tray for '72 is different than the tray for '70-'71 . It has a push-button release rather than a spring clip latch. I wouldn't think the hinges would have been missed by factory assembly. They're very high -up on the rear bulkhead. Perhaps you missed them or their remains in your search under there. Take another good look.
Regards,
Alan

Hey Alan, thanks for the response.

Lets see if I can explain what I have. The rear bulkhead goes up and hits a small horizontal flange which appears to be where panels are joined. It appears that the brackets should be very near that horizonal flange and also very near where the bulkhead curves away toward the rear recesses on each side of the bulkhead. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Could those bracket holes be above the horizontal flange?

The AM does not give diamensions as to exact location but shops the brackets situated in a vertical position.

And a final Q. are their any differences between the other early C3 window shelves other then the front release button on the 72?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Ken,
The hinges for the tray are mounted below the horizontal flange. If the hinges are missing all you should see on each side about 36" apart are 2 vertical holes and 2 vertical large flat head rivets. The rivets mount the tapping plate to the otherside of the bulkhead. The bottom of the hinge is ABOUT 10 1/2" above the rear compartment floor and ABOUT 36" apart.
The NCRS tech guide notes that there is a slight difference between the 71 and 72 tray. It implies that the hinge location on the bulkhead is the same.
If you're not a member of NCRS you should consider joining. Lots of great help and printed information from folks working on cars too.
I can't imagine that someone would have gone through the trouble of filling those holes. If they did anything I would think they would have just plugged them.
You do realize this is all going on behind the carpet?
Curious?
Alan

There is a '72 shelf mounted in my '71, and the hinges line right up. All I did was get the correct handle from Ecklers and mounted that, took the push button off, and badda bing...you can't tell the difference!

Ken,
The hinges for the tray are mounted below the horizontal flange. If the hinges are missing all you should see on each side about 36" apart are 2 vertical holes and 2 vertical large flat head rivets. The rivets mount the tapping plate to the otherside of the bulkhead. The bottom of the hinge is ABOUT 10 1/2" above the rear compartment floor and ABOUT 36" apart.
The NCRS tech guide notes that there is a slight difference between the 71 and 72 tray. It implies that the hinge location on the bulkhead is the same.
If you're not a member of NCRS you should consider joining. Lots of great help and printed information from folks working on cars too.
I can't imagine that someone would have gone through the trouble of filling those holes. If they did anything I would think they would have just plugged them.
You do realize this is all going on behind the carpet?
Curious?
Alan

Hey Alan, after receiving your latest I again went back in the the bulhead area, pulled the carpet away even more so and tore out insulation, took measurements both height and width and their ain't poo but two gromets (through the body) in approx those locations. No rivet heads, no bracket holes. From the measurements you gave me the holes should only bew an inch or so below the flange. Not there

Ken:confused

Ken,
I just looked at my 71 Coupe. From under the car I can see the rear side of the bulkhead by looking up past the front of the gas tank. The tapping plate is about 3" outside the carpet plug and 2" or 3" inches above it. If you don't see any traces of it, you can use your tray and hinges for for a width dimension and I'll give you a more accurate height dimension.
Still quite a mystery.
Regards,
Alan

If There are no brackets or holes for brackets it might be an indication that the body is not original. The factory did not miss an item like that if they did the tray would not be mounted and there would be no place to store the removable rear window.

Look closer they should be there. It is very unlikely that the body was swapped or the rear clip replaced.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom