Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rebuild the Holley 4160 or leave it alone ?

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
As I prepare the car for a long season of driving both in the US and Europe the engine has been my focus.

The car has 50,0000 miles on engine since rebuild in 2010

New carb Holley 4160 put on in 2010 Correct L-79 66 Roadster

All new wires, timing springs, oil, (1,200-1,500 mp Qt.) plugs

Car began to get 9-10 mpg in winter after I got it back from Europe (Dec)

Was getting 14-15 hi 12 mpg town

Put in all new stuff as listed and now car runs great.

5,000 gallons of gas has gone through it.

I have worked on the carb before and am familiar with setting floats
etc.

Should I , do nothing as the car is running fine

Should I rebuild carb with all new parts from Holley with successful outcome

Should I rebuild carb with horrible results , poor performance and lots of self recriminations

Should I send the carb to midyearvett and save a fortune in gas because I will not be driving my car while he has my carb

Should I ask Dahogan to ask Frank , because I have not told him about my plan

I do need to get Lars paper on modifications to the Holley heat shield that I want to install to prevent accelerator pump boil over.

What would you do ?

Jack

ps does the gasket go directly on intake then insulator, or insulator the gasket - carb

Put on the heat sheild

... and call it good.....Don't " NEED " a rebuild if the car is running properly...
I would snug the bowl bolts front & rear.... they tend to seep after a bit

I don't remember a thing

I remember going out to the garage, gas fumes I woke up with gas and oil on my hands. What could have happen in 30 minutes ?

I took the car for a ride and was hungry

I got back in my car and drove toward home.

I remember posting to Frank.....it gets hazzy ...

There was a ride to Portland, I remember saying hello to some friends

and then I looked in the garage

Frank, I found it , wet and oily , put it in a box , you should get it in a few days

well first off I know you know that in the winter the gas companies change the mixture and it lowers gas mileage. that being said, if the car is running good, it idles nicely, no hesitation or back fires or skips..leave it alone. have you ever checked your plugs to see if its running rich at all? if the plugs are dark. you might try stepping down the jets a number ...or two if it calls for it...but it sounds like its running good...why bother rebuilding it...

well first off I know you know that in the winter the gas companies change the mixture and it lowers gas mileage. that being said, if the car is running good, it idles nicely, no hesitation or back fires or skips..leave it alone. have you ever checked your plugs to see if its running rich at all? if the plugs are dark. you might try stepping down the jets a number ...or two if it calls for it...but it sounds like its running good...why bother rebuilding it...

Hi,

The problem was the advance springs. I have know that they were is bad shape, as I worked on them a while ago , but did not have new ones to replace the old. They could not return the weights from full extension. New mid rate springs did the trip, the car now comes down from hi rpms smoothly, before , it would be very abrupt after foot off gas.

I put on old carb, but it has a few leaks from siting for 6 years.

Put back on newer carb without touching it, I should use the kit on the old carb

Jack

How does it sound ?

Here is the sound of car on a test run

Corvette Vagabond Stero Sound exhaust - YouTube

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom