Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rebuilding a Muncie 4spd

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
Well, VNV has done it to me again. Based on some emails that he sent me, bottom line, I have a spare Muncie in the garage and I want to rebuild it and replace the #match tranny in the '66 bb. THANK GOD he didn't talk me into a Kiesler upgrade. Ain't gonna happen. No way.

I could take it to Ed Harnett, who does a superb job and worth EVERY penny he charges, I want to do this one myself.

Any suggestions on books/videos which will walk me through the rebuild?

Thanks.

Just was this response from Gary (GTR1999):

Muncies are not too bad to do. Call up Paul @ www.5speeds.com buy his video on rebuilding them then decide. With parts & tools in hand I can rebuild one in a few hours at a reasonable pace. Most rebuilds run about $400-500 in labor, parts about the same.

Gary does superb work, he did both of my steering boxes and is as honest as the day is long. Recommended by JohnZ.

I have found the proceedures in the shop manual to be a good guide. At least I have been successful in getting every one I took apart back together and working right. :L

thanks tom, i do have the shop manual and ordered the video that gary suggested

now, i study...and order a case of jack daniels':m

Joe,
You can do it as for Jack D Hum I remember driving cross country 25 years ago with my buddies and that was our staple at times. Camping out in Yellowstone with left to eat but a can of corn and JD. Has nothing to do with with vettes just fond memories! Not sure I'd recommend it for repairs though.:L

You might end up with 4 speeds in reverse and only one lorward low gear. :L

Don't think your swaping that tranny down in Ocean City are you?? Me no crawaling under No-Mo cars. That sounds like a Hopewell Lift job.

Last Time Kid Worked On His 65 Transmission.
Emergency Pit Stop At My House

kid002.JPG

God, Mark. You NEVER throw anything away.

My bias is to use the lift in Hopewell. HOWEVER, I already have the spare muncie on the bench in hopewell, can't wait to get the video. Already contacted Gary about some tips and I'll review the video a few hundred times to make sure I understand it. I'll look at the shop manual also.

Soooooooo........I don't mind working on the ground but I would need to crib the car a bit higher than the jack stands for comfort. If I do it late fall in OCNJ, shouldn't be more than a LONG Saturday. Ya gotta love the twist and drop technique to drop a muncie out of a vette. Always a bundle of laughs. On my '66 shoebox, I just pulled it straight back and dropped it SLOWLY.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom