Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rebuilt Alternator Junk!-18 volts!

CorvetteArchives

Corvette
1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find
Went out for a short cruise and suddenly the voltmeter starts registering 18 VOLTS!
Ended up running every possible electric device, coasting in neutral and braking just to lower the voltage to something safe to get home. (Which in retrospect probably didnt really do squat since Alternator was still overheating) Worst part is this alternator is a rebuild from autozone and is only 2 months old (old one lasted 5 years -apparently a record.) At least they'll replace it with another crummy rebuild!

Battery is always charged with floating charger so it wasn't undercharged- No real reason I can fathom.

I remember reading how some people replaced their's with the newer 90's design...now I know why!
Can anyone recommend an alternator they'd swear by?

I remember reading how some people replaced their's with the newer 90's design...now I know why!

I was just thinking about that today for some reason. :L

C4 alternators in general just aren't very good. I'm sure some aftermarket company has manufactured a good and reliable one.:confused

When I replaced my last one (#3), the guy at the parts store told me not to get their store brand rebuilt. He said to spend the extra money for the AC Delco unit. I took his advice and that was 6 or 7 years ago. Still going strong. :beer Also, if the battery is down, I don't use the alternator to charge it. I put a charger on to bring it up to full charge before starting the car.

Rebuilt = At time of repair only defective parts are replaced. (aka pepboys/autozone etc etc.) Which is why they rarely have a long life on your car and why they are so cheap. Only reason I can see why they carry a lifetime warranty though is they receive some sort of compensation for defective stuff who knows or it's the only way someone would buy there stuff.

Like another has said GM rebuilt stuff = much higher quality .... You pay for what you get, if you want troublesome parts buy cheap garbage for it.

Over the last 15 yrs I have alway boughten AC Delco rebuilt alt. I don't think I ever had one fail and usually drove the vehicle for a minimum of 50 k after replacing.

Glenn
:w

I have used Motor City Reman in the past. They are out of Detroit. New units and also remanufactured units.

You can find them here:
http://www.motorcityreman.com/

SAVE THE :w

LT4man, does the Detroit outfit you recommend have better prices than the Chevy dealer in KC since they are selling the same unit. Also, is it wise to stay with the 200amp alternator or move up to the 250 amp? I noticed the Detroit dealer dropped their price below $199 so we have to pay shipping.
Barrett

LT4man, does the Detroit outfit you recommend have better prices than the Chevy dealer in KC since they are selling the same unit. Also, is it wise to stay with the 200amp alternator or move up to the 250 amp? I noticed the Detroit dealer dropped their price below $199 so we have to pay shipping.Barrett

;shrug Who says they are the same unit?

I have a 140 amp alternator on my Vette. Still works! I see no need for the 200 or the 250 amp unit.

Unless you are going to install a light bar and pace the Indy 500! :L

SAVE THE :w

I've found that the stock AC alternators (105 amps) used on 1988/89 vettes are just OK. A drained battery (i.e. listening to the stereo too long) can cause these alternators to over heat. Most rebuilts from AZ and PB are junk because they only replace those defective parts that fail during testing. Worn but working parts are not replaced and are just waiting to fail. AC rebuilts are better, but I've never had a failure when using a new heavy duty alternator from AZ (gold) or PB. They run cooler, have better electonics, and according to my local vette expert, have improved power output curves. Rebuilding an AC unit with better parts is another great solution if you have the time and experince. I don't see why you would need 200+ amps.

Thanks to everyone for all the good info!
Rebuilt = At time of repair only defective parts are replaced. (aka pepboys/autozone etc etc.) Which is why they rarely have a long life on your car and why they are so cheap.

Good point! That makes total sense in retrospect.

The rebuilt one is "duralast"..what an ironic name! What I find annoying is that I'm already into this for $100. Short of causing a scene and demanding $ back looks like I'm sol ..guess I'll hope this one is better. If it fails I may try to "upgrade" to the newer (cs144) alternator at autozone. Not sure it would be any more reliable however if it also is a knock off made in mexico. Does anyone know if the bolt/bracket holder on the Vette CS144's is identical to the cs130? I found this site http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm that claims the mounting point vary.

If I have to shell out any more money, I may go for both reliable and good looking. Anyone have any luck with the Powermaster Alternators Jegs sells or Billet Specialties that Summit sells? They make a cool polished unit but I'm unsure of their reliability. :w

Thanks to everyone for all the good info!

Good point! That makes total sense in retrospect.

The rebuilt one is "duralast"..what an ironic name! What I find annoying is that I'm already into this for $100. Short of causing a scene and demanding $ back looks like I'm sol ..guess I'll hope this one is better. If it fails I may try to "upgrade" to the newer (cs144) alternator at autozone. Not sure it would be any more reliable however if it also is a knock off made in mexico. Does anyone know if the bolt/bracket holder on the Vette CS144's is identical to the cs130? I found this site http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm that claims the mounting point vary.

If I have to shell out any more money, I may go for both reliable and good looking. Anyone have any luck with the Powermaster Alternators Jegs sells or Billet Specialties that Summit sells? They make a cool polished unit but I'm unsure of their reliability. :w

to go to a higher output alternator I would keep in mind to at least run a thicker gauge charge wire to the battery. NO WAY will you stock charge wire stand up to a CS144. It will get very hot! Aside from that just buy a different connector from autzone and wire it up.

Thats a VERY GOOD Point! I am already concerned about my current wire having been damaged by the 18+ Volts and was thinking of replacing it to be on the safe side. :w

Ever thought of having someone local rebuild it? They usually will do a better job and will answer any questions. You can also have them replace any parts that can be a future problem.

Ever thought of having someone local rebuild it? They usually will do a better job and will answer any questions. You can also have them replace any parts that can be a future problem.
That is what I did my alternator was working fine but I went to a local shop that repairs starters and alternators and bought a chrome housing from him and had them to replace everything with new 140 amp parts. That was 8 years ago no problems yet.
I like to deal with a local repair shop it may cost a little more but you get a good rebuild not just the faulty part replaced.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom