Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rebuilting (Ground-Up) 1984 CrossFire

O

Outlaw

I have a few questions regarding the '84 CrossFire Engine:

I will be removing the 350ci CrossFire from my 1984 later next week and going to go through a TOTAL Rebuild...

Question 1: Is the 350ci Block a good foundation to begin with???

Engine will be Balanced and Blueprinted and we will also be replacing ALL Studs/Bolts with ARP...

If pistons are worn, we will be replacing with SpeedPro...

We are planning on going with a good Roller Cam and probably updating the Ignition with MSD Components...

Question 2: Are the Heads good enough to be worth Modifying???

We are planning on using the Factory Heads and doing the Porting & Polishing plus adding Roller Rockers with ARP Studs as well...

On this 1984, we will be eliminating ALL Computer Components...

We will be using an Edelbrock C-26 Dual Quad Intake Manifold mounting (2) Edelbrock 500cfm Carburetors...

We are going to be rebuilding the entire 1984 Corvette from the ground-up with this Engine, a Richmond 6-Speed R.O.D. Transmission, Recaro Electric Seats, and hopefully adding a Custom Dash Panel using AutoMeter Carbon Fiber Gauges...

We may have an issue with Clearances for the Dual Carbs. The Intake is a Low Profile, but if we will have clearance problems,

Question 3: Is there a Corvette Hood Scoop like the ZR-1 or similar that we will be able to use with the '84 Hood???

I have done quite a bit of reading here and also as one had mentioned, the CrossFire Vault...

Thanks for any response on these issues and I do appreciate all the help and advice from the Members here at CAC...

I am no expert but if you are going that deep into the rebuild I would suggest.

1. Do a Google search for 383 stroker...You may want to take that 350 up a notch.

2. Take the "CAST IRON" heads and use them to tie down a boat. :) Get yourself a good set of aluminum heads

3. This company (I am not endorsing) has many hoods and scopes
http://www.vanacorvette.com/

As for upgrading to 383, I had rather keep the lower end the way it is and stay at 350ci unless needing bored...

I did find some heads in Summit Racing though...

Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Cylinder Heads
CNC-Profiled Instake & Exhaust Runners
Dyno-Matched
One-Piece Stainless Steel Valves
Valve Springs, Locks, and Retainers
Guideplates
Rocker Studs
70cc Combustion Chamber
170cc Instake Rinners
60cc Exhaust Runners
2.02" Intake Valves
1.60" Exhaust Valves
Max Valve Lift @ .575

$1,039.00 - Pair

As for the Hood Scoop, that you very much for the Info and the Link. Will be checking them out...

Found a set on Ebay for $200.55

Here is the description of these heads:

This is a complete pair of GM Hi-Pro Corvette aluminum cylinder heads. Ideal for small-block Chevrolet V-8 hot rod's, fresh water power boats and other high performance aplications. Casting number 10088113. This set of heads features screw in studs, 1.94" and 1.50 valves, 58cc combustion chambers, advanced D-shaped exhaust ports (enhances flow of burned gases) and centraly located spark plug holes to improve combustion efficiency, and HO 350 Corvette design springs. Heads have been completly professionaly rebuilt here at our shop. This set of heads does not have an intake manifold heat riser or EGR passages. The exhaust ports are .100" higher than production cast. Spark plug holes are angled and require 3/4" reach gasketed spark plugs (A/C spark plug number AC FR5LS). Heads are machined with accesory holes for power steering, alternator and A/C mounting. This set of heads does require the later model center pull down valve covers. GM suggests using a composition head gasket with stainless steel fire rings is recomended to prevent galvanic action between a cast iron block and aluminum heads. Help your hot rod loose 50 pounds by installing these heads.

Will these Heads fit my 1984 350ci Block and will all accessories bolt up???

Thanks for all the help...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom