Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recharging with R-12

Dood1

My 80 vette still has some pressure in the a/c system, but I guess it needs more R-12. If I get some R-12, can I just add it to the system, or do I need to get gauges and fittings and vacuum it all out and then pump it in some how? I see small cans of R-12 on Ebay, can you just plug them into your a/c system and top it off? I have no desire to buy a/c equipment as I'll probably be selling the vette soon and will have no need for it, I'd just like to get the a/c working for a better resale value.

I usually don't tell people this often...but this I think you should leave to the pros...The system needs to be dried out and oil checked and leaks detected. It will be cheaper for you.

Dood1, last I knew R-12 was over $100 a pound. Your system holds 3 pounds. Do yourself a big favor, have your R-12 system recovered and vacuumed, put in 3 pounds of 401A. No other changes required, has worked flawlessly since 2001 in my 81.

Cans of r-12 can be found on ebay for less than $20 for a 12b ounce can.
Since I still have pressure in my system after having the car for over 5 years, I dont think leaking is that much of a problem, and I doubt I need a full three pounds of r-12.
I realize that having a pro do it is a better way to go, and I may do that, but I really don't want to spend the money.
So my original question remains: Is it possible to just plug in a couple cans of R-12 into my system and charge it up, or does it need to be pumped in under pressure or vacuum or something more involved?

If you know for certain that it is R-12 in your system, then you may add R-12 to it to top it off. Otherwise, pump it out and start over.

Thanks for the link and info. That's what I was looking for.

R12 is not anywhere near $100/lb. Last I checked it's running the $20s for a can which is just shy of a lb. You need a certification to purchase R12 now. If it's currently got some charge yes, you can just top it up. On the other hand if this is a pretty old system/charge - it couldn't hurt to evacuate, change the drier and recharge fully... but for that you'd need guages and a vacuum pump or a pro to do it. FYI an AC service shop will typically charge a lot more than the over the counter rate for R12. Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom