Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recommend jack and jack stands?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
I've decided I need a few more tools to really dig in on maintenance on my 'vette (it's an '81). Does anyone have any recommendations on jack and jack stand packages? Something that could ALSO lift my daily driver (2000 Olds. Bravada) would be great.

I've been eying this on amazon. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Tatortot

This will freak some people out .I bought 4 jacks similar to what was shown .I place one at each frame slot (C5 & C6 ) i place each jack so the wheels all go heading under the car .Works great for me and I don't use jack stands .(oh my God :ugh ) yes everything else I use jack stands .

I've decided I need a few more tools to really dig in on maintenance on my 'vette (it's an '81). Does anyone have any recommendations on jack and jack stand packages? Something that could ALSO lift my daily driver (2000 Olds. Bravada) would be great.

I've been eying this on amazon. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Tatortot

I would look for the lowest profile jack that has a high lift when fully extended. Harbor Freight if you have a store locally, is a good place to go see them in person. You don't have to buy there, just look to get ideas on what is important to you. I liked the spec's on their Pittsburgh 2 ton HD Low Profile Jack (item # 68050) with rapid pump (a very nice feature) with a minimum height of 2 5/8" and a maximum lift of 23 3/4" with a long reach under the vehicle and a foot pump. Not exactly the highest quality jack in the world, but probably good enough for home or non-professional use. You really need to look at them and compare the many spec's and features, there are a lot of choices out there. You can get by with a not very expensive hydraulic jack, but I would NOT short cut the jack stands, make sure you get high quality stands and use them please (sorry, vett boy). Good luck with your choice. :)

Advice is much appreciated. I actually just looked up where my local Harbor Freight was as I need a [cheap] torque wrench. Low profile, with high extension.... at least 2.5 tons (for my DD). This one seems okay. Not as high extension as the 2-ton, but significantly cheaper... not sure why that is yet :cool!:

-Tatortot

Advice is much appreciated. I actually just looked up where my local Harbor Freight was as I need a [cheap] torque wrench. Low profile, with high extension.... at least 2.5 tons (for my DD). This one seems okay. Not as high extension as the 2-ton, but significantly cheaper... not sure why that is yet :cool!:

-Tatortot

I think it's because of the pad extension difference, the part number I quoted you is a lot longer which affects both lift height and load capacity. Keep in mind you will not be jacking up 2.5 tons from 1/2 half of the vehicle (front or rear, or side to side) at one time unless your vehicle weighs over 10,000 lbs. depending on front to rear weight bias. I am sure that the jack you chose will work well for you. Not sure I would buy jack stands from them though, the ones I saw were a little scary looking. Flat bottomed large base jack stands with push/pull pins are your best bet (I got mine from Snap-On when I got one of my jacks), but they are not cheap, of course neither is an ER visit. :)

I went looking for a jack with a low closed position height. Most of the Auto-Zone priced jacks are too high to get under a Vette.

I bought a jack from NAPA and with closed height of less than 3 inches. Wasn't cheap but I'm very happy with it.

I think it's because of the pad extension difference, the part number I quoted you is a lot longer which affects both lift height and load capacity. Keep in mind you will not be jacking up 2.5 tons from 1/2 half of the vehicle (front or rear, or side to side) at one time unless your vehicle weighs over 10,000 lbs. depending on front to rear weight bias. I am sure that the jack you chose will work well for you. Not sure I would buy jack stands from them though, the ones I saw were a little scary looking. Flat bottomed large base jack stands with push/pull pins are your best bet (I got mine from Snap-On when I got one of my jacks), but they are not cheap, of course neither is an ER visit. :)

Doh! Of course I don't need to lift the entire car's weight with a jack..... jeez. So the 2-ton will be fine for both cars. And I appreciate the advice on the jack stands. I've read that the welds are suspect at best on the cheaper stuff. Thanks again!

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom