Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Record Keeping

Huntermartin

Corvette
1967 327/300 Coupe
I have not been able to find any guidance or examples of classic car filing systems on the internet so I am hoping you can help me better organize mine. I am curious to know how you organize your records, specifically, what order and categories are contained in your system? Mine are in binders:

Vol. I - Tips and history, Inurance, Maintenance, Purchase documents, and Market Information

Vol. II - Restoration Receipts

Vol. III - Mechanical (Procedures, Instructions, Shop Manual supplement, and Assembly Manual

Vol. IV - TBD, but thinking about provenance, my maintenance history, and so forth.

Photo Album - Pictures from barn find to final restoration, etc.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are better organized than I am. Most of my photos are all filed in folders in my file cabinet, not necessarily sorted but need to be. Digital photos are in files on the computer by car with notes. These are also backed up in at least three places. Not that I am paranoid, it's mostly because I have too many photo accounts. Also need sorted and categorized. I print restoration articles that I think I'll need later and file them in the file cabinet all together by car. Insurance, titles and important documents are in a file in my fire safe. Most everything else goes in a file folder by car, in the file cabinet. My assembly manuals, NCRS manuals and reference/automobile books are on bookshelves in my office. Parts manuals and catalogs are in a book cabinet in the shop.

It's odd that you posted this today. I was in the shop earlier thinking about how I need to get everything organized by car and documented.

Tom

Thank you Tom. You have given me some things to think about. I spend most of my days in the digital world, but have concerns about my heirs locating everything when I am gone (Passwords, site names, directory location, which device, etc.) With dual authentication it could be even more difficult for them. However, your system has given me the idea to back everything up online though in case of fire, theft, etc.

Your post also made me realize I need to take my CDs with all photos out of the album and store them in a secure area.

Hopefully, others will post their filing systems with categories, indexes, etc. to give us more ideas.

I have not been able to find any guidance or examples of classic car filing systems on the internet so I am hoping you can help me better organize mine. I am curious to know how you organize your records, specifically, what order and categories are contained in your system? Mine are in binders:

Vol. I - Tips and history, Inurance, Maintenance, Purchase documents, and Market Information

Vol. II - Restoration Receipts

Vol. III - Mechanical (Procedures, Instructions, Shop Manual supplement, and Assembly Manual

Vol. IV - TBD, but thinking about provenance, my maintenance history, and so forth.

Photo Album - Pictures from barn find to final restoration, etc.
Even though I am old school on my paper/3 ring binder system, I decided to go new school so I asked Chat GPT (the artificial intelligence platform) to make a recommendation. Here is what it produced in less than two seconds:

Me: Help me create a table of contents for collector car documentation.

Chat GPT: Sure! Here's a possible table of contents for collector car documentation:

I. Introduction
A. Purpose of documentation
B. Importance of collector car documentation
C. Overview of the document

II. Vehicle Information
A. Make and model
B. Year of manufacture
C. Vehicle identification number (VIN)
D. Engine type and specifications
E. Transmission type and specifications
F. Body style and color
G. Interior options and features

III. Ownership History
A. Purchase date and price
B. Previous owners and their contact information
C. Mileage at time of purchase and current mileage
D. Maintenance and repair history
E. Restoration history, if applicable

IV. Appraisals and Valuations
A. Appraisal reports and documentation
B. Recent sales of similar vehicles
C. Current market trends and values
D. Insurance valuations and policies

V. Legal Documentation
A. Vehicle title and registration
B. Bill of sale and purchase agreement
C. Loan documents, if applicable
D. Any liens or encumbrances on the vehicle

VI. Original Documentation
A. Manufacturer's certificate of origin
B. Owner's manual and other original documents
C. Service and repair manuals
D. Original advertising and promotional materials

VII. Photographs and Videos
A. Exterior and interior photographs
B. Engine and undercarriage photographs
C. Restoration process photographs, if applicable
D. Video footage of the vehicle in action

VIII. Conclusion
A. Summary of the documentation
B. Significance of the vehicle in automotive history
C. Future plans for the vehicle
D. Contact information for the owner or seller.

Me: What do you think?

That looks pretty thorough. You could record just about any information about your car under one of those headings. Document all casting numbers, casting dates, engine pad, trans and diff stampings, date stamps on gauges and other components as you find them, factory chalk and crayon markings, and anything else that you find that you would like to include. I should do this on my 59.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom