Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Redline?

S

SurfnSun

How many RPM are you guys turning in your cars? Seems to me like the bottom that Callaway put in the b2ks (excluding the truck-block cars) could easily handle 5500-6000 rpm. Thoughts?

My thoughts...

A bone stock B2K car will start to drop off dramatically after 5000rpms. That is a limitation of the TPI long runner setup. There is no point in going beyond that. Optimal shift point is 4800 which is right about where HP starts to drop off. You could spin it to 5500 and you may feel like you're still pulling but it's getting to the point of diminishing returns.

The bottom end is fairly strong but the rods in a stock B2K are the weak link. They are forged but still not the best. They are the Chevy "pink rods" like the early 70's LT1 motors got. More than a few TTs have put a rod through the block. Ask me how I know that. ;)

BTW- What's wrong with a "truck block"? It's no different than any other 2 bolt main 350 block. That's how they started life... all of them. Callaway had them machined for splayed 4-bolt mains and align bored. Much better than a stock 4-bolt main block.

Get the car, then worry about when to shift! :t

the truck block

ok I just checked my Black Book, only the first 4 cars recieved the LF5, which was a replacement short-block for trucks, as a base. I don't think those 4 cars got the forged crank or rods.

I guess the reason for my question was even at 5k rpm the car is still producing alot more torque than the ZR1 or like cars peak at....Didn't know if it was still pulling hard or not. I guess I can see where it would be beneficial to go ahead and shift to get back in the fat of the curve.

I'd be pretty surprised if those cars didn't get the upgraded crank and rods. They had to change the pistons for sure... so why not the rods. Also, all the cranks are forged, balanced and cross drilled. Basically they'd have been ripping off the first four customers if they didn't make the upgrades. That makes no sense.

For anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about. When Callaway started up the B2K program they needed a few engines to "grease the skids" for the program. When the first cars came in they received these engines. From then on the engines that came out of the cars coming in got sent out for the bottom end upgrades. It would be highly unlikely that a B2K car would actually get the block it had installed in Bowling Green put back in the car. Cars coming in got engines from the last bunch of cars that just left. I would think it's possible to get a block from a previous model year car depending on the timing of the B2K upgrade. Forget about matching numbers! Callaway re-numbered the blocks to the sequence number of the car.

90Callaway said:
I'd be pretty surprised if those cars didn't get the upgraded crank and rods. They had to change the pistons for sure... so why not the rods. Also, all the cranks are forged, balanced and cross drilled. Basically they'd have been ripping off the first four customers if they didn't make the upgrades. That makes no sense.

Very well could be that they rebuilt those with the upgrades. I guess I was just thinking they didnt, b/c the Black book states that they used the "short block" which made me think they kept it as it was when delivered. I sure hope not.

Redline

On my car it feels right to shift around 5000 or before. I believe the peak power RPM is around 4250. Trust me there seems to be plenty of power without exceeding 5000 revs!

P.S. Launches real well at 2500 RPM, you've got to be pretty damn quick to change into second before hitting 5000!

Malc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom