Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Remanufactured 6 speed?

96corvetteLT4

Corvette
White '96 LT4 Coupe
While prowling around under my 'vette the other day, I found a tag on the side of the tranny between the other ones listing the manufacturer, etc. that reads 'Remanufactured for General Motors'. Is this standard, or was the tranny replaced by the dealer sometime in the past?

it was probably replaced... You can find this out for sure from any dealer. If it was replaced they have it on file. All they need is your VIN #.

it's not uncommon to find re mfg. zf6's.........the synchros blow at the drop of a hat........if you are doing any kind of extra duty....you ok w/this Bob??(Vettelt193)

lt4 gs said:
it's not uncommon to find re mfg. zf6's.........the synchros blow at the drop of a hat........if you are doing any kind of extra duty....you ok w/this Bob??(Vettelt193)

I am having a good laugh every time you mention me;LOL I agree with the synchro problems... My tranny was replaced under warrantee 2 times, and the synchros are bad again. I wish I had the transmission from my '93. The car had over 100k on it and it shifted perfectly every time. The 'update' they did to the ZF's seem to be more negative than positive:(

my synchros blown?

How would I know? It seems to shift like a dream...

I am worried as I read on "that other forum" that most ZF
rebuilds are due to a hydraulic sys. failure.

Well, when I first got the car, the slave cyl. blew, and I didn't
figure it out until all the fluid was gone and I really could
not shift any more!! It got harder to shift over about a month
and then I took it in to have it looked at.

So, will my ZF die an early death?

How much to rebuild it? Who does that work?

well the way you know is: a power shift through 1 and 2.......the shifter will grind/vibrate like hell............just for a fraction of second. gm parts direct is about $3700 for a rebuilt exchange. plus shipping......go to: www.gmpartsdirect.com for the real deal! Bob?? You still ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Well, it doesn't do that. It shifts like a dream.

Since it has been 5 yr and 30k mi since the slave cyl,
can I assume that little harm was done? Maybe I just
added 1 year of wear?

lt4 gs said:
well the way you know is: a power shift through 1 and 2.......the shifter will grind/vibrate like hell............just for a fraction of second. gm parts direct is about $3700 for a rebuilt exchange. plus shipping......go to: www.gmpartsdirect.com for the real deal! Bob?? You still ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

I can tell you I am not ;LOL when I try to shift into reverse or 2nd Gear! The funny thing is it shifts fine when I run the car hard, and it shifts fine when I run the car slow... the only time I really have a problem with 2nd is during mid range RPM's (and when the car is cold)

Sothpaw, your transmission is better than the newer ZF's anyway... I wouldn't worry about a thing. It seemed like no matter what abuse I gave my tranny on the old '93, it wouldn't skip a beat.

If some independent shop installed a rebuilt trans in your car, the dealer won't have a record. I'm the third owner of my 96 LT4, and I know it was driven hard, because my GM extended warrantee has already paid for a new pressure plate, flywheel, and crankshaft. It didn't cover the clutch, of course. :)

The trans works fine, just curious if the trans had been replaced by the dealer. I will take the VIN to the dealer and find out how much info they have on the car.

Sorry to here that, Vettelt193.

You can come up here and drive my 93 any time!!

ouch!

there's another way to tell if it's the original tranny or not. there should be a plate or tag on the trannsmission that says " non serviceable unit" as ZF did not release rebuild kits for the ZF6 until late in 99. My syncho's went in April of that year and they had to replace the whole tranny, Aftemarket warranty paid for it and they also let me keep the original. so now I have and extra and all it need is the new synchro's. it's only got 26k on it

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom