Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removable top

Raycuda

Corvette
2000 Base coupe
After having a convertible with a power top for 10 years, I find the removal process of the removable top not worth the effort. If I am out and an unexpected rain stoirm pops up, before i can get the top on, the interior is soaked. My convertible would have the top up in about 13 seconds . I was able to lower or raise the top while stopped for a traffic light. Has anyone else felt as I do, or am I just old and lazy.

After having a convertible with a power top for 10 years, I find the removal process of the removable top not worth the effort. If I am out and an unexpected rain stoirm pops up, before i can get the top on, the interior is soaked. My convertible would have the top up in about 13 seconds . I was able to lower or raise the top while stopped for a traffic light. Has anyone else felt as I do, or am I just old and lazy.

You are probably old and lazier, just like me. But your not wrong.

Targa tops can be a pain in a panic situation. C5 verts are manual and easy and quick to lower and raise. C6 are power but you need to be stopped to operate them. C7 I believe is the first generation that allowed vehicle movement up to 30 mph when operating the top. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Had a C4 with a targa, had no issues getting it back on and buttoned up quickly, but the 99 C5 I had was a pain to get it aligned and back on quickly..Not sure why, but I am old and lazy and just quit taking it off after a year or so of ownership.

Had a C4 with a targa, had no issues getting it back on and buttoned up quickly, but the 99 C5 I had was a pain to get it aligned and back on quickly..Not sure why, but I am old and lazy and just quit taking it off after a year or so of ownership.
Same here, I have had this C5 for a little over a year, and it's just not worth the effort. If I ever replace this car, maybe I will consider a true convertible, even though I think the coupe is a better looking car.

MY first C5 was a coupe with the two top option. I agree that removing the top or replacing it in a hurry could be troublesome. my current C5 is a convertible and while it is not a power top (2004) it is so much easier to lower and raise.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom