Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

removable tranny crossmembers

66rapidusvettus

I am in the process of gathering information on making the crossmember on my 66 removable. I know that this probably makes a lot of the purist sreech in agony, but since i am the one doing the work i only wish to make this venture as painless as possible. so, has any one seen or done this mod? i have seen this mod. done in a 63 big block vette that we were racing back in the 70's and was very successfull, but was wondering if there was anything else out there that is really trick. any advise is welcomed

First off; I am responding to this posting because I am also interested in the answer to the crossmember question.
Next, as to the question about other trick stuff; I added some wire from my wire harness to my starter on my '68 Chevelle (I have not yet done it to my '65 vette) with a couple of heavy duty banana clips in the lines. I mounted half of each clip in a bracket on the wheel well. Then, whenever I did anything that involved dropping the starter, I did exactly that without having to fool around with the solonoid screw and nut. Banana clips are available in virtually any size, and they make a good connection.
Bo Dillingham

hey bo, i like the idea of the pigtail its a good idea. i will let you know after this weekend when i get the car up on the rack to give it a real close inspection of how i plan to attack the problem, or at least some thoughts about how i plan to attack the problem.

Having just replaced my trans, I can see your thinking about the crossmember. I laid under mine tempted to cut the thing out of there. Let us know what you do and how it works. JBL

Hello 66rapidusvettus,
'Glad you like the idea about the detachable starter. It seems like GM always gives me just enough wire to get to the starter, and its removal was more of a pain than necessary. I used the word "banana clips", and you wrote "pigtails". The plugs I am refering to are bigger and much better looking than regular pigtails. They are more like the old plugs that telephone operators used to make connections manually (like in the very old days). I read about this settup in a Hot Rod magazine about twenty years ago, and always got compliments on it anytime I opened the hood.
Bo

Bo,

I like the idea too. But I have to ask if it wouldn't make hotwiring and stealing your car pretty easy?
Especially since you don't have a locking streering wheel.

well, i think after looking for about 4 hr.s up at the crossmember i or i should say we (my hotrod buddy and i), have come up with a plan of action. one of the fears was whether or not if we could retain the rigidity of the member and have it still removeable. those early gm guys were how should i say creative in the ways of crossmember makings. the back half and bottom is a 3 1/2 in square tube while the top half is radiaused towards the front due to a clearance problem with the bottom portion of the fiberglass. but any way when i start i am going to document the procedure with a digital camera and hopefully it will be a trick set up when i am finished.

RalleyRed,
Good point about the theft possibility. I hadn't worried about it on my Chevelle because I had a rather complicated home made alarm system. I guess that I would hide the quick disconnects from view, and also assume that a thief is not going to look for quick disconnects as not many cars have them. It was a trick used mostly by racers. I did it because I was still at that age where I replaced a lot of clutches.
Also, I am still anxious to see the removeable cross member follow up.
Bo

removeable tranny crossmember

well its done. i now have a removable crossmember i have pictures of the operation. its not to bloody you know a sponge here and a sponge there and suture there and before you know it viola' its a done deal. if i have done this right you should at least see the finish product.(the attached jpg. file)

That looks really good. Wish I could have had it a couple of months ago. You may have a marketable product here!

i was thinking about putting on a bottom plate to help cosmetically to cover the bottom portion of the crossmember... i am still thinking about it, but if you are interested in the full photo shoot from start to finish i would be glad to e-mail them the total project took about 3 days to do i had to keep getting renewals on my kitchen passes .... but all toll it took about 14 hrs. from start to stop. and the trick thing is i now can maintain any part of the drive train without being a magician in getting the tranny out.

Nice job.

I agree you could probably market this.

Rick

Nicely done. Pat yourself on the back.

Tom

Wow! I love it.

Darnit, I wish I had thought of it.

I don't post really in this part of the forum because I don't have much to share with the mid year cars. One thing we do have in common is that dang cross member.

I am putting the big block in my 69 for the first time this weekend. Up until now I have had the trans sitting in the frame with the drive shaft, shifter, and center column installed.

I have the stock muncie four speed, quarter master hydraulic clutch release bearing, quartermaster flywheel and clutch, and a Lakewood bell housing. I already had to cut a bracket off the bellhousing to clear the tunnel.

Anyway, now I realize it looks like I am going to have to pull the trans loose, slide it back in the tunnel, install the engine, then shove the trans back into place.

I actually riveted the rubber trans hump shifter seal boot to the floor, so I have to drill those out I guess in order to access the hurst shifter handle.

Okay, so I am rambling, but mostly because I am kicking myself for not thinking of such a cool mod when I had the body off the frame!

to 69, i did this mod while the body was still on the frame but you are right it is much easier if you do this with the frame off.
you are also right about the rivets in the boot you will have to remove them so you can get the shifter handle in. i have all of the pictures and will send them to you if you wish. it does make it so much easier in removing and installing. e mail me at
sopic7000@cox.net if you are interested in the full gory details of the mod. (it really makes all the difference)

X-member

66rapidusvettus,

I intend to e-mail you directly as soon as I finish this note because I haven't talked to anybody yet who is not interested in the "gory details" of your X-member project.
Speaking for the masses; is it too long to put on CAC?

Thanks again,
Bo Dillingham
65oldusandslowus

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom