Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removal of a Rear Bumper Bracket on a 1961 Vette

V

Vettefreak100

We have a 1961 Corvette that is almost ready for paint. There is a rear bumper bracket that goes directly behind the fiberglass where the bumpers mount. It runs roughly the width of the car and is about 4 feet in length. Hope that explains it well enough so that someone will know what I'm talking about. Anyway we can't figure out how to remove the thing because it hits the spare tire well when we try to pull it out. We've tried turing it in every direction possible and think that the only way to take it out would be to cut a hole in the fiberglass. The person who is painting the body swears that he got it out on a 62' with no problem. Anyone remove this piece in the past and if so can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks,
Doug

Doug

I tried un-susesscfully to remove mine,I actually had the body off of its frame and still couldn't remove it. My frame was rotted so bad that it sagged in the middle when I pulled the body but this bumper plate was just like new, rust free, and not bent. After spending about 2 days twisting, and trying to get it out I gave up and just ran some bolts Thu the existing bumper holes and left it in place for the paint job. I dont see anyway it could have came out.

I tried unsuccessfully to remove mine also. Then I asked myself why was I removing it anyway. I thought maybe it was installed before the rear fiberglass tail light panel was bonded on. I don't remember it having any weld nuts on it. I think the bolts just passed through it. Mine was in good shape and yours probably is too.

For what it is worth, I have owned 2 '61 cars and could never get the brace out of them either.

Post some pics of your car as you progress, we all love projects here:D

I'll definately try to post some pictures as soon as I get back to the body shop and take some. The only pictures I have of it right now are of the frame before it left to go to the body shop and a few while the body was there. I do have tons more, but they are before I got a digital camera. In the meantime here are the photos I have on my webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/vettefreak100

The only way to get it out is with the body off. I learned this when
i forgot to put it in and put the body on, then had to lift it about a foot
to get it in and drop the body again.

rick

Gasman said:
The only way to get it out is with the body off. I learned this when
i forgot to put it in and put the body on, then had to lift it about a foot
to get it in and drop the body again.

rick

We have the body off the car. The problem we are having is how to get it past the well for the spare tire so that it will come out. No matter which way we cock it we cannot seem to get it to come out. You are saying that it's possible to get it out?

Vettefreak100 said:
I'll definately try to post some pictures as soon as I get back to the body shop and take some. The only pictures I have of it right now are of the frame before it left to go to the body shop and a few while the body was there. I do have tons more, but they are before I got a digital camera. In the meantime here are the photos I have on my webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/vettefreak100

Motor looks great along with the frame.

It will come out with the body off. It just floates in there till the rest of the bumper brackets secure it.

Gasman said:
It will come out with the body off. It just floates in there till the rest of the bumper brackets secure it.

Are you saying you were able to actually get it out and put it on a bench or it was still inside of that cavity behind the tailights.

I spent hours trying to get it out

Please enlighten us to how you got it out if you did because that thing looks like it was put up in there before the body panels were molded together.

Vettefreak100 said:
Please enlighten us to how you got it out if you did because that thing looks like it was put up in there before the body panels were molded together.
I couldn't get mine out even with the body off the frame.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom