Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removal of Y-pipe

V

vetteengnr

Is their any way of removing the Y-pipe without cutting?
The flange to the catalytic converter is not going to go through the crossmember, neither is the Y-pipe. If cutting is the only solution, what is the best tool to cut it with? I've never taken on a metal pipe.

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad! I can't help you on what to do about the Y-pipe since I've only played with true-dual systems but I can tell you how to cut it. I've used two different tools to cut exhaust pipes. First, a pipe cutter which can be had at any auto supply store and kind looks like an odd cross between a screwdriver and a pair of twisted glass-cutters. All you do is close it around the pipe and spin it back and forth, tightening as it cuts. Second is a hand-help grinder. I prefer the pipe cutter for a nice even cut and never a chance of shards implanted under the skin - ouch:eek.

Looks like maybe you could work the joint apart that is immediately behind the Y pipe, would depend on how rusted together the pipe is. Only other option would be cutting. If you are replacing the Y pipe I would cut it and then try to salvage the exhaust pipe by prying the short cutoff piece from the connection and then re-shape the connection to accept the new pipe. A sawzall type of tool (reciprocating saw) will work OK in this situation. Just pull the filings out with a magnet after the cutting is done, and try to make your cut square (really doesn't matter if you are replacing the pipe).

Hey Brad,
I recently replaced my exhaust on my 75. There were duals on it when I bought it and CA needs made me take it back to stock. I puchased a used 1980 system Cheap and found that the Y-pipe from those years doesn't fit well under the tranny, so I got a used 75 Y-pipe and had the local Magic Muffler shop install it. They had to modify the pipes and flanges. They had to relpace the pipe that exits the Y, and bolts to the Cat( I also couldn't get the flange through the Cross member).I noticed in the assembly guild that it is a two pipe assembly from thr Manifolds to the Cat. I Would remove the rear pipes and Cat, then cut the front a few inches from the Y, leaving the Y intact and giving yourself some room to attach a new pipe between the Y and the Cat also using the old flange. To Cut the pipes when I removed the duals , I used a sawsaw with metal blade. It does quick work and if you take your time the cut can be straight. Either way, I found the new section had some weird bends in it to fit correctly. It was easier to replace it.

Sheesh, I never even thought of using my sawzall. Gonna have to store that one for future reference:D.

- Eric :w

Thanks for all the tips!!!

How clean is the cut when you use a pipe cutter?
I suppose it would be good to be able to reconstruct the original
exhaust if needed.

Brad

vetteengnr said:
How clean is the cut when you use a pipe cutter?
I suppose it would be good to be able to reconstruct the original
exhaust if needed.

Brad

So long as you hold it straight, the cut comes out as close to perfect as I think is possible - no burrs or shavings at all.

- Eric :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom