Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Remove Speedo Cable

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello all. I dug into my center console last night in an attempt to figure out why my turn signals, brake, and generator lights do not shine. I couldn't figure out how to remove the speedo from the gauge cluster. Can you guys help here? Also, all the bulbs are present and appear to be in good shape. All my dash lights come on perfectly, it's just the turn signals, brake, and gen don't light up. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I always say, the best way to go this is to find a small guy and let him to the work. :D
But if you want to do it yourself. First disconnect the speedo cable at the cruise control, this way you can slide it back more easy. Then get on your back before the drivesseat with you head under the dash (depending on your weight). Your hand can reach beside the steering column to the back of the speedo gauge. There should be a small metal clip (open half moon shaped) that is locking the speedo cable in place. Try with one finger to push the clip in and with the other fingers to pull the speedo calbe back from the gauge. That is the way I always do it and it always reminds me I'm to old for this stuff! :rotfl

If you want to remove the speedo cluster you also need to remove the steering wheel (don't loose parts!) so you can take it out. Just replace all the bulbs and then check with a 12v source if the brake and turn signal bulbs are working again. If not take a good look at the plastic print and see if there are any cracks in it so the 12v or ground circuit aren't completed. Well, this can keep you bussy for a day. Happy 2012 :)

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peter. This is helpful. I was Abe to get the speedo where ut connects to the cluster. I just couldn't figure out how to remove it from the cluster.
Thanks again.

Hello Peter. Wanted to follow up with you on the dash lighting. Just as you stated, I pushed the clip in and was able to pull the speedo cable from the gauge. I found my problem with the lighting. The bulbs were good however, the sockets had some corrosion and was not making good contact. I will be replacing the bulbs and sockets. Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom