Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical Problems 101

CurtisVincent

Hello all. I got my new 84 Corvette gone this weekend. Charged the battery, changed all the fuses that were not the correct amperage and I get fuel & the engine turns over but no ignition. Here is a list of what I know about the car so far...
When I put a fuse in the anti theft module the security light illuminates. Interior lights work, headlights work, stereo works, rear hatch opens, door locks work, power mirrors work, air con works and the center dash screen works.
What does not work....
Wiper motors, power windows, gauge cluster and obviously ignition.
There is a fuse receptacle behind the stereo that was empty. When I put a fuse in it, dinging started to sound like the doors were open until I turned the key to the on position but an interesting note is that the exterior lights all came on when I put that fuse in and removing the fuse was the only way to turn the lights off.
Thoughts and guidance on what to go after to get the ignition working???
Thanks!

If the MIL flashes Code 12, then there are no fault codes set in the ECM.

As for all the other electrical problems, let's start with a couple of basic questions...

1) Do you have the Factory Service Manual?
2) Do you have a DMM which has at least 10-megohm input impedance?
3) You said this car is new to you. When you took delivery, did it run?

Update
I got the car running. The rotor button had broken causing a domino effect that fried the coil. Now I just need to run down some electrical issues. I have 1 fuse that causes the exterior lights to stay on no matter the position of the headlight switch. That is my next job to tackle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom