Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing scratches

B

boblx2a

I just found something that many of you probably already know about. It is called Mcquire's Deep cut scratch remover, or something along those lines. It is for removing swirls caused by a buffer or "parking lot rash." etc.
I had a bit of damage caused by one of those "pump engineers" we have here in Oregon. (where we are still considered too ignorant to pump our own gas) Apparently one of them lost control of the nozzle and it raked across the left rear of the car leaving gouges and scratches all the way down, along with some black junk off of the rubber handle.
This stuff took out everything but the gouges! I was shocked at how good it worked. And it did'nt wreck the paint in the process. It also removed a nasty set of scratches that I had on the rear bumper where I let the garage down after having not pulled into the garage far enough. (Opps!) I thought it was going to require touch up for both of those things. McQuires took them off in a jiffy!

Thought you might like to know............

Follow that up with Meguires "Gold Class" polish for the best shine I have seen....

Thanks for the reassurance. I bought the Gold Class at the same time. I have not yet used it but I intend to shortly. I understand it comes highly recommended by this list.

The body shop where I get work done on my classic Chevy (you know, the one with the 6K paint job) told me to use only McQuires polishes and waxes, etc....

Boblx -

Be veeery keerful with that scratch remover, no matter who's name is on the bottle. If you work too hard you will goof up the clear-coat. I was real proud of a job I did once and after about a year it was heck to keep a good shine in that area. I had done a number on the clear-coat. Fortunately it was not my Bignanner. If you rub aggressively enough a plain rag and water will cut throug. Understand?

I understand. But my car has no clear coat on it so that is not a problem to me.
It did however remove about 99% of the damage. Yesterday I followed another listee's advice and used Gold Class wax. It looks like a new paint job now. I am very pleased with it. I had light damage on the front and the rear from getting too close to my garage door. (This appears to be a habit of mine) It left rubs and scratches on both the front and the rear. I covered the front with a bra. Now I no longer need the bra on the front. I admit this was superficial damage but when I tried to remove similar damage on my '86 I did damage the surface as you suggested might happen. Even though the '86 also had no clear coat on it. But McQuire's Hard Cut scratch remover caused no such damage on my '85.
However I am sure if one got too aggressive the surface could still get damaged. I guess you have to be careful when to stop rubbing. This stuff is made to be used with a buffer but I used it by hand since the damaged areas were relatively small.

Thanks for the advice.........

As for the gouge. If you have a steady hand, get a finest brush and fill the gouge and build it up as neatly as possible. When thoroughly dry, get a piece of cotton cloth and wrap it around a large eraser(as in elementary school eraser). Then put some polishing compound or rubbing compund and buff back and forth ( a little water helps sometimes, especially towards the end)- sortta like block sanding. Done right, you can hide some deep scratch from being noticeable.

Oh yeah, the gouge that the "pump engineer" installed for me. :( I almost forgot about that in my exhileration with the accomplishments of McQuires.

But I do need to address those gouges, although they are not near as prominent as the scratches were. Then I need to be sure and get my ass out of the car and monitor the activity that these pump jockies are doing when they are giving me that ultimate service of squirting gas in my car. I have always griped about them slaming the gas door instead of closing it.
Maybe someday Oregon can join the 21st century and allow us to pump our own gas! :) But you know how it is, the lobbiest are the ones that are really in control.

Thanks for the tip.............

i have had success with the Maguires line of products as well of course. yet i have a good deal of oxidation to my clearcoat. does anyone recommend a product or remedy for that problem?

anything knowledgable would help. because aside from painting the whole thing over i have tried everything else i can think up.

thanks in advance for any helpful info.

sam

2000 grit sandpaper.

I read somewhere that you can use 1500-2000 wet/dry and take off light scratches and such.Follow it up with 3M clear coat rubbing compound.

I tried it on a rocker panel to experiment and it works.Moved on and did the whole car!Then I used a clay bar on the whole car after that and smoothed it out like glass.:cool

It had never looked better.You can only do this a couple of times,because you are removing a little layer of clearcoat each time you do this.:eek

Use LIGHT pressure when using the wet/dry.Use it wet.Very wet.Don't be skeered!You won't FIU!

I bought this from Meguiars.The buffer included is a Porter Cable and it is excellent.I don't know how I lived without it.
http://www.meguiars.com/collections/concours.cfm

Actually,the whole site is very informative.Check this out1down6togo.You will find what you need here.
http://www.meguiars.com/

Good luck.:w

You mean the '85 did not have a base coat/clear coat paint job?

Have a great day,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom