Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Removing TPI Runners

Sam Meade

Corvette
So I have a 1990 vette with the l98 and im trying to remove the intake runners but somehow each side has 1 bolt with the head broken off of it. I was wondering if this is a normal thing and if you guys had an easy way to remove the two broken bolts so I can get my runners off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Where are the broken bolts? Can you post a picture?

It sounds like the wrong bolts were used or someone cross threaded the correct bolts. Broken bolts are not really normal.

If you can't get an extractor onto what's left of the bolt you'll have to drill them out or replace the intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've experienced a few where the torx splines are rusted and the torx bit slips in there. OR do you mean the entire head of the bolt is gone(broke off)? If the splines are bad try an impact screwdriver with an extension and either the torx bit or a flat blade on it. Because those are case hardened steel bolts and I doubt they sheared off being threaded into aluminum. They only get tightened to 35 ft./lbs.

As mentioned, shoot us a picture and I'm sure we can help you out.

There's NOT a lot of room especially for the hidden bolt on each side. Move the injector wiring harness and it'll give you more room. It also helps to move the A/C compressor and the A.I.R valve too.

But remember for re-assembly,...While you have it apart, tap ALL the bolt holes and run a die over the good bolts. Replace the bad ones.
Also start ALL the bolts by hand! Some of them may look at straight right angles but they are NOT. A few are tilted just a bit.

Both of the bolts have the heads completely broken off and they are both the two closest to the distributor side of the engine behind a fuel injector. I cant really get a good picture of them due to the location or else I would post one.

You are NOT being very clear about which bolts are broken. Plenum to runner(on top), Runner to manifold(at bottom), or Intake manifold to head(very bottom). Left(drivers side), Right(passenger side). Don't you have a cell phone that takes pictures. It makes it hard to help when there is about 20 different bolts and locations. EXAMPLE: Lower runner bolt by #8 injector.

Get me a picture with some kind of reference point, like the distributor or thermostat in it. Use a small piece of paper and draw an arrow on it and get it into the picture pointing to the bolt(s). I HAVE THIS ENGINE AND HAVE DONE THIS MANY TIMES. I WILL HELP YOU IF I GET THE RIGHT INFO AND MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU.!

Don't try to be surgical here. It's not going to work. You have a "project" ahead of you. Drain about a gallon of A/F. Take pictures of how it is put together and comes apart, for your reference later. Everything comes apart in a specific order and MUST go back in the reverse order. Avoid bending the pre-formed breather rubber tubes and any plastic lines. THEY will break! Start at the front right removing hoses from throttle body and throttle cables on left. Remove the A.I.R. control valve, wires and hoses too. Work your way to the back. Remove and mark injector wiring and hold downs and get them out of your way. You are going to have to take it all apart. So take some pics and start as I said.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom