Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing turbos

heimo huima

Corvette
1990 #33 twin turbo
What is correct way of removing turbos? I`ve already got intercoolers and intake off for other things. I just looked four hours for my tt manual, but it is somewhere hiding from me. :eyerole

Hey there Ari. I will make an electronic copy of the process from the manual and email it to you.

No stainless. I`m going to try to make my own exhaust manifolds with
better design and smoother transitions with my tig welder. Also going to put old turbos in storage and upgrade to current technology turbos. :)

better design and smoother transitions with my tig welder. Also going to put old turbos in storage and upgrade to current technology turbos. :)

Moi Ari!

Good to see you posting your progress with 90 #33. That car is going to be an absolute MONSTER when your done.

BTW, 90 #34 your sibling is in Kyle, TX : )

Interesting... :cool

What turbos have you found will physically fit in to this compact area, and are they still a similar design? ;shrug

I`m still in fitting stage, but by the size garret gt30r with smaller compressor house or holset hy35, with custom compressor house. Should have more info when I got the turbos for fitting. Those turbos have capacity about 500 horses each.

Turning the nuts in order to remove the turbos is a fairly slow process, since there isn't too much room, and the factory locking style nuts don't exactly help. Going back I used stainless nuts with stainless lock washers. This allowed me to turn the nuts most of the way fairly easy, leaving that slow process till it was time to put the final torque on the nuts. Taking the turbos off now are much easier, since once you break the nuts loose, you can reach up there and spin them off. Also, applying thread ease on the stud threads is a must.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom