Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing Vent Window Glass-64 Coupe

Jack64

Corvette
1964 coupe
Have vent windows removed as a unit.
One has a broken stainless hinge that requires welding

Question?
How do I remove the glass from the vent window?

Thank you
Jack64

The glass has what installers call tape, (a rubber/tar sort of stuff) that they wrap over the edge of the glass and then force it down into the stainless channel. Removal is just the opposite. The problem is that the tape hardens over time and may cause difficulty in removing the glass. Also the tape can deteriorate and allow the glass to fall out so you may get lucky and the glass will come out easily. If you can get the glass to move at all in the frame just keep working it until it starts to come out. From there it is easy. You might be able to soften up the tape by submerging the vent window in hot water for a while.

Do not ever pry between the glass and the frame with anything hard or sharp like a screwdriver. You will shatter the glass. I've seen installers just grab the frame in one hand and the top of the glass at the upper point where on some cars it protrudes past the frame and pull hard. Once it starts to move your on your way.

If it is overly stubborn just take it to an automotive glass shop. The small fee they would charge to remove it would be much better than having a date coded correct piece of glass in a million pieces. I have a local glass shop that has even done little jobs like this for free. I make it a point to also go to them when I need a big piece of glass installed or have a broken windshield on one of my drivers.

Tom

64 Coupe Vent Window Glass

Thank you Tom.
You are a wealth of information.
Glass is firmly in place, so I will soak in warm water.

Question?
What do I use to reinstall the glass? Butyl caulk?
Rgds
Jack

Here is exactly how it's done. This is not a Corvette but the process is exactly the same. You need to have the right product to make the finished vent window look correct. You may need to make a trip to the Auto Glass shop for a strip of this tape to avoid having to buy a whole roll.

P.S. I found this online.

Vent WindowSetting Tape

Video

Tom

64 Coupe Vent Window Glass

Once again, thank you Tom.
Will get to it my next day off.
Regards,
Jack64

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom